Maui/Big Island rainout?

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui/Big Island rainout?

My fiance and I are honeymooning on Maui, April 11-17, then on the BI for a week. I hear it's been nothing but rain in Hawaii for the past few weeks as well as the next 10 days.

Having never been there, I have a few questions. Does rain mean a passing shower or does it actually rain for hours and hours? Are roads shut down? Will hiking trails be washed away? Will the road to Hana be drivable? Is it worth it to snorkel if it's raining?

Any other insights into the weather and outdoor activities would be very helpful. Thanks in advance for your replies!

JS
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 09:34 PM

Hi, was just in Maui this past week. We were actually rained out one day from noon on, which is very unusual for Hawaii - this was Lahaina. The other days were humid and warm but no rain. It was also kind of overcast, but I'm beginning to think that's normal for Maui as it was like that on a previous trip. The road to Hana was fine and it didn't rain at all the day we went - roads are fine. The 2-hr hike at Oheo'o Gulch was very muddy but worth it. (I think it's muddy year-round.) We didn't snorkel, so can't help you there. We actually skipped a snorkel excursion we had paid for since the weather was blah (overcast) that morning. The general rule for Hawaii, I think, is that the rains pass through. It was like that when we visited Volcanoes Nat'l Park last year. Have a great trip!
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 09:11 AM

I hope it doesn't rain everyday, We will be on the Big Island Saturday and I want some sunshine!!!!!
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 10:08 AM

I have been traveling to Hawaii for the better part of the last 20 years. I think I have seen rain showers across the spectrum. One summer, it rained so hard the golf course the condo was on had balls floating on it. The power was out for three hours at the condo complex. We had to barbeque by the triggering the motion sensors on the outside lighting! Yet, mostly, I have witnessed passing showers while vacationing.

There is a good chance it will rain at least for a few minutes most days you are in Hawaii. But don't let it damper your spirit. Some of the most gorgeous rainbows I have ever witnessed have been after a rain shower in Hawaii.

On Maui, the road to Hana will be driveable in the rain, although slow going. People tend to drive slower in the rain, making the journey to finally reach Hana an arduous one. Yet, the rain will serve to make the innumerable waterfalls along the drive more spectacular.

Rain generally doesn't close the roads on Maui, as long as you stay on pavement. Don't venture past Hana on the uneven pavement in the rain.

Snorkeling in the rain isn't optimal. Most of the visibility during snorkeling will be cut due to the lack of reflecting sun. The water will likely be murky if not rough when it is raining. Hold out for that half hour of sunshine to snorkel! It'll be worth it.

Once you reach Hana, I caution anyone hiking in the O'heo Gulch/ Kipuhana/ Seven Pools area during cloudy days. Cloudy days turn into flash flooding in this area, as I found out this past June. The trailhead turned into a torrent, and we actually got lost on the way down the trail. Luckily, there was cattle fencing along the trail that helped us navigate back to safety. Otherwise, I'd be repaying the National park Service for their rescue efforts right about now!! Leave the cell phones behind... there is no possible way of getting a signal along this stretch of trail to alert your potential rescuers!!

I love the Big Island. To me, there is such a vibrant contrast in climates here. It illustrates the power and beauty mother natures has to offer. If you choose, take a day trip to Volcanoes National Park. Or a volcano and waterfall helicopter tour. Both will leave you with impressions of mother nature's raw power and beauty.

Happy travels!
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 06:05 PM

We just got back from the BI. I agree with all the posts above. I would just add that you should keep your car radio on if you are out and it has been raining. The day we drove over to the volcano, they did close part of the highway on the south side of the island due to flooding. We heard multiple warnings and announcements on the radio about road closures to help us plan our days.