Maui Weather - Can someone ease my mind??

Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 10:13 AM
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 69
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui Weather - Can someone ease my mind??

Hi All!

We're leaving for Maui on Thursday morning for our honeymoon and I've been watching the weather forecast. It seems the weather's been nice this week, HOWEVER, on Thursday through the weekend it shows showers and windy....bummer!! I'm aware it does rain a lot, but it's usually mixed with sunshine....

Does the weather forecast list showers/windy a lot of the time?? Help! Trying not to worry. We're staying in Kaanapali, by the way...

Opinions, opinions?! Thanks!!!
iamjesica is offline  
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 10:35 AM
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,025
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The forecast is almost the same for 5 straight months. High 90 low 75, scattered showers, mostly mountains.

It doesn't rain much in Lahaina/Kaanapali area.

Trade winds are good because they help keep the islands cooler in the summer. So 10-20 mph is good.

No need to worry.
dusty56438 is offline  
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 10:50 AM
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,044
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be sure and use this weather source - it's much more accurate than any of the others:

http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/content.php?pid=50

Don't worry, it's unlikely to rain much (if at all) - and with temps that high, the few short rains you'll get will feel good and won't likely get in the way of anything. All that a 20% chance of rain means is that there's 20% chance that somewhere in the area at some point in the day will get some precipitation (usually briefly) - not that it will rain 20% of the time. Keep in mind too that those odds say that there's an 80% chance that no where in the area will get any rain at any time. Pretty good odds I'd say.

Wind IS likely - and again, with temps & humidity what there are in Hawaii, wind is usually a GOOD thing. Plan to do your snorkleing during the morning hours. Typically the days start out calm and the winds pick up and the day heats up.

Ken
LordBalfor is offline  
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 10:53 AM
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,044
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS - Jessica:

So, did you end up going to French Polynesia? How was your trip?

Ken
LordBalfor is offline  
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 11:21 AM
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,044
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi again. Going through some of your posts it looks like you've ended up choosing Maui instead of French Polnesia. Though I DO prefer FP over Maui, Maui is pretty darned nice too - and I have to admit that out of ALL the tropical islands I've been to, Maui is probably the most well-rounded. You should have a VERY nice time. The Ka'anapali area is beautiful.

Ken
LordBalfor is offline  
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 12:57 PM
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 69
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks all for the help! Okay, so I feel better now! Can't wait!!!!!

Lord Balfor: Yes, we ended up choosing Maui for our honeymoon instead of French Polynesia (I was planning on Moorea), although alone, I definitely would've chosen French Polynesia. SO, French Polynesia will ABSOLUTELY be somewhere I will visit soon (maybe an anniversary!!) I dream of the clear water in Bora Bora...and the beautiful landscape of Moorea!!!!

iamjesica is offline  
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 01:23 PM
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,044
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't rule out the Cook Islands someday too. Cheaper than FP, but very, very similar - our favorite destination (we're returning there next April).

I have to admit the pounding the US dollar has taken over the last few years (in regards to its overseas exchange rate) makes Hawaii far more affordable than most places in the South Pacific. We were just on Maui in May. First time on Maui - though we've been to Oahu & Kauai - and had a very nice time. Some very very pretty beaches - probably as many good beaches on Maui as on the rest of the Hawaiian Islands combined. We still prefer the lagoons of the South Pacific, but can understand why so many people adore Maui. A fine choice for a honeymoon.

Ken

Ken
LordBalfor is offline  
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 01:54 PM
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 69
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ken: I did research the Cook Islands a bit. So beautiful. Plus, I saw those amazing pictures you had taken. I'll have to research a little more when I get ready for our next vacation. That water kills me! It's just so beautiful!

I am very excited about Maui. We've got some good stuff planned, plus LOTS of relaxation!! What were some of your favorite things, activities, restaurants, etc. in Maui...if I may pick your brain?!

iamjesica is offline  
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 02:42 PM
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,044
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, we tried hard not to do too much as we definitely wanted some down time, but we did do a few things. Rather than list all my thoughts here though (I actually have quite a bit to say about Maui) I'm going to post link to my Maui trip report where I think I answer some of your questions:

http://www.epinions.com/content_189902589572

and the photos (in case you've not yet seen the Maui shots):

http://community.webshots.com/user/lordbalfor

Maui IS beautiful with really nice beaches. It is NOT as exotic looking or feeling as the South Pacific destinations, but it has lots more to do.

Anyway, take a look at the trip report and then if you have any specific questions let me know.

Didn't eat in any real restaurants in West Maui except for dinner at Moose McGillyCutty's in Lahaina after attending the Warren & Annabelles show (terrific by the way - but buy your tickets EARLY because it's always sold out in advance). Food at Moose' was pretty good and we had a good view of the people below from the 2nd storey outdoor balcony.

Had a good dinner at the Greek Bistro in Kihei - but you probably won't be eating there as it's quite aways from where you're staying.

Had an excellent (though pricey) dinner at Mama's Fish House. Nice ambience there - the owners used to live in the South Pacific so it's got a definite South Pacific touch.

Ken
LordBalfor is offline  
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 02:45 PM
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,044
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS - Great snorkeling at Kahekili Beach (in the same general area where you'll be). It's a beautiful, beautiful beach with lots of nice coral just offshore and great views of the other nearby islands.

Ken
LordBalfor is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Original Poster
Forum
Replies
Last Post
michellegreer
United States
5
Jun 5th, 2008 07:30 AM
saxbe
United States
12
Feb 16th, 2007 06:25 PM
ciaoana
United States
7
Jan 8th, 2007 12:12 PM
mitch1971
United States
5
Mar 26th, 2006 11:21 AM
ssm
United States
5
Jul 8th, 2005 06:55 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:31 AM.