Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Maui - Best shop for renting snorkel gear?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 10:40 AM
lee

We're going to Maui in February for a week, and I am wondering where the best place to rent snorkel gear is in terms of price and quality. I wear glasses, and I am wondering what kind of masks other people with glasses rent? Thanks. We'll be staying in Kaanapali.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 08:05 PM
bettyk

Lee, try the Maui Dive Shop in Whaler's Village, Kaanapali. They rent/sell gear and have a variety of dive/snorkeling trips too. I wear glasses, but I'm nearsighted so I don't have too much problem when I snorkel. Maui Dive Shop has masks with magnified opticals of various strengths. Maybe one of these would work for you.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 08:06 PM
bettyk

Lee, forgot to mention, if you check out Maui Dive Shops website (www.mauidiveshop.com), you can request one of their diving guides. Very helpful for shore trips on your own.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 08:47 PM
lee

Thanks Betty.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 10:10 PM
Marilyn

Lee, I'm a big fan of Snorkel Bob's. You can check them out on line (www.snorkelbob.com)and they have 3 shops on Maui (Lahaina, Napili, and Kihei).

I am incredibly blind without my glasses, used to snorkel with contacts, but can't wear those anymore. While on the Big Island, I bought magnifying lenses and a mask from them. They were great about helping me, and told me to try them out and if they weren't right, bring them back and exchange them for different lenses. I really appreciated their desire to please the customer.

I believe they also rent magnifying masks, but it's a great opportunity to buy one and be sure it works for you. The mask I got from them is also excellent.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 01:03 AM
Pat

I rented a snorkel outfit from Snorkel Bob. He has several outlets on Maui. He even has a variety of opticallly ground masks that you can try to meet your vision particulars; however, they are about double the weekly advertized rental price. It is worth it.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 10:44 AM
Karen

I usually rent from Snorkle Bob and have always received good service and equipment at a fair price. However, the last time I went I rented from a place in Lahina and they gave me a $5 trip to Molokini with a week's rental. Sorry but I cannot remember the name but they are in the Maui Today coupon book and the $5 trip in in the ad.

Have fun.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 11:17 AM
lee

Thank you all for the helpful information.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 05:27 PM
Ann

The shops rent generally the same stuff; That said go to Maui Dive Shop. Snorkel Bob's is a just a dive.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 05:55 AM
Debi

We used the Maui Dive Shop when we went diving in May. We used the one near Wailea (I think it was in Kihei), but we did stop at the one Betty mentioned. They were wonderful - they had snorkeling trips, and tons of equipment to choose from. It was one of the best Dive shops we've used in all the places we've been diving....