Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Snorkel Bob's or Maui Dive Shop in Wailea (Maui) for snorkel equipment?

Old Jan 6th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Original Poster

Where would be the best place to rent good quality snorkel equipment for a week while we're staying at a condo in Wailea? Or should we think about buying? We'd onlybe able to use the equipment once a year or so...
Old Jan 7th, 2012, 10:17 AM

We used the Maui Dive Shop in Kihei when we dove in November.
I made a pont of speaking to the manager afterwards about the great service we received.
They were very helpful in making sure we got the right equipment and the right fit.
I would just rent the gear there, it's inexpensive and those fins would take up a lot of space in your luggage.
Old Jan 7th, 2012, 12:43 PM

I have used both. I find the staff at Maui Dive Shop to be more professional and knowledgable and they have nicer shops and equipment. There is one in Wailea. If you plan to snorkel at least once a year for 5 years or more, it is more cost effective to buy your own equipment. Plus it will fit you better and be more sanitary.
Old Jan 7th, 2012, 01:03 PM

I suppose Maui Dive Shop has them too, but the corrective lenses on the mask my wife rented at Snorkel Bob's gave her a whole new appreciation for the activity.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 10:27 PM

Yes Maui Dive has corrective lenses and I highly recommend them if you wear glasses .
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 04:43 AM

Sounds like you got some good info. The thing to remember is get a mask that fits good and then don't let any strands of hair get under the mask - or beads of water can slide down and drive one daffy.

We always take our own equipment for snorkeling and diving, but with the cost of luggage these days - it might be wise to rent gear over there for the week.
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 06:29 PM

Snorkel Bob's has done well for us in the years we've gone to Kihei/Maui. We always rent the fins. I bought a mask there with corrective lenses (like it a lot) and that's the only snorkel gear we pack whenever we go to tropical waters.
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 07:53 PM

I have done both. I would recommend maybe BUYING the snorkel (Pack out of the package) and bringing with you. If you find a great price on a mask and love the fit, do that too.

Rent the fins!

8-)
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 07:28 PM

I would rent this trip then buy if you love it.
Also, dont forget to get a bottle of Spit (defogger).
I rented a mask with corrective lenses at Maui Dive shop and it was like a whole new world under water!

Have fun