Search

Maui banana bread order in advance?

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui banana bread order in advance?

Hello Hawaii experts,

I am getting married in Maui in October. We're having a morning wedding, so immediately afterwards we are going to have banana bread and mimosas at the BBQ area at my condo (Whaler) and then an evening reception.

My coworker gave me the great idea of ordering round banana breads so I can stack them like a wedding cake. I know most of the great banana bread places are just small stands -- any ideas for a place where I could order something like this? Or, would the loaves any of the stands sell be large enough to put it on tiers on my own?

Thanks!
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:20 PM

Banana bread stacked to look like a wediing cake does not sound like such a great idea to me !
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:33 PM

Wedding "cakes" made out of tiered cupcakes have become popular. What if you could order the banana bread as cupcakes - or even bake your own (freeze if needed) and take with you.

Here's a favorite Fodorite recipe -
Author: bonniebroad
Date: 09/13/2005, 08:18 pm
Just for you, cmcfong!

HAWAIIAN BANANA BREAD:

3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 and 1/4 cups chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups mashed ripe bananas
1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine first 5 ingredients; stir in nuts. Combine remaining ingredients; add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.

Spoon batter into 2 greased and floured 8-1/2 by 4-1/2 by 3-inch loaf pans. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans, and let cool on wire racks.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34691054

A good icing suggestion near the end
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:34 PM

Congratulations!

We were also married on Maui, Sept 2005. You will love every second!

Sorry I don't have a place for you. I would suggest calling around to different bakeries. Also, maybe the location you are having your reception would have a suggestion for you. The banana bread cupcakes is a good idea too!

If not, if you still want to have the official "cake cutting", maybe you could have just a small, one tier wedding cake, but serve your guests bannana bread.

Enjoy every second, it goes by quickly!
Old May 10th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions -- I'll have to look into banana bread cupcakes.

Either way, we won't just stack random loaves, we'll get the proper tiered stands

-Kim
Old May 10th, 2007, 09:32 AM
iceeu2

MauiKim, the Hawaiian Banana Bread that starrsville posted for you is the same as a Hummingbird Cake. A Hummingbird Cake is iced with a cream cheese frosting.

I would think if you wanted banana cake, the Hummingbird cake would be easy for a bakery to do for you.

When the real icee and I were married, we wanted a cake but non traditional so we had carrot cake. It was delish!

Old May 10th, 2007, 09:35 AM
iceeu2

Kim, here's the link for the hummingbird cake recipe

http://food.southernliving.com/south...cipe_id=387218

Old May 10th, 2007, 09:35 AM

Mental Note to kim: don't invite Rusty. Do invite DebitNM who thinks its a neat idea and loves Banana Bread and mimosas
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:02 AM

Stillwells 243-2243

Patticakes 244-7024

Homemaid Bakery homemaidbakery.com
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:13 AM

I just know it as Bonniebroad's Banana Bread that everyone raved on this board about. I've never made it - but those aren't my favorite ingredients. My grandmother made Hummingbird Cake too - but after the first taste...

Dailey's had their mile high Hummingbird Cake on the dessert bar last week. I know folks love it.

I know, I know. I'm one of those weird ones who don't like nuts cooked in things. By themselves, I'll eat them all day long. Best way to ruin a brownie for me? Put nuts in it. I won't eat it.

I miss bonniebroad
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:16 AM

MauiKim, a friend got married on the Little Beach at Makena Beach last year. BEAUTIFUL pics!

Best wishes on your wedding.
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:44 AM
iceeu2

Kim, I was only trying to suggest another option for a banana bread wedding cake.

I was not in any way trying to take away from Bonniebroad's recipe for Hawaiian Banana Bread. It's very good, and I have made it several times as well as Hummingbird Cake.

Old May 10th, 2007, 05:07 PM

A banana bread wedding cake in Hawaii makes perfect sense to me. Think of all the wonderful things that could be done to decorate it. I know YUMMY is a hated word on this forum, but it does sound YUMMY!