Search

Maui ATM's?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 09:04 AM
NHsandy

Maui ATM's?

We are going to Maui in 3 days. I assumed there would be plenty of ATM's around, but now I am starting to wonder if that is a safe assumption. Thanks for your help!

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Laura

There are ATMs everywhere on Maui. You can go into any bank, any shopping center and even any hotel. Trust me you will not have any problem with that.

We are leaving in three days too! First we are going to Waikiki and then onto Maui. Have a great trip!

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 10:29 AM
NHsandy

Thanks!

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 12:14 PM
sherrie

A related question . . . We are going in 10 days and are wondering whether to go to the trouble of getting travelers checks or would using our debit card be a better option. Taking some cash, but really didn't want to worry about getting travelers checks if not necessary. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Sue

I don't think traveler's checks are necessary. We used cash and credit cards for our week's stay on Maui. Have a great time!!

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 01:01 PM
Laura

We also do travelers checks...I am a just in case type of person. We usually pay for the hotel portion of our stay with the travelers checks and use a credit card for incidentals and meals off property. I just feel re-assured knowing that the room charge itself is taken care of when we first get there. It's one of those anal retentive things they talk about.

We had an incident a couple of years ago on Maui where Budget rent a car put 5 different holds on one of our credit cards maxing it out on us. They had a ton of our money on hold by mistake and it took 4 days for them to clear it up. It was such a nightmare and I get nervous now soley depending on the plastic.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 01:09 PM
x

I am one of those people whose family used traveler's checks on every vacation growing up. I personally have never used them as I find that using a credit card is much easier. Since we don't live on a wing and a prayer we just write a check to the credit card company when the bill comes. We get the 30 day float, no annual fees no interest no bulky wad of travelers checks to deal with. When I see travellers using travelers checks it seems kind of um...low tech, old fashioned, out-of-date, flashback, well, you get it.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 01:20 PM
dsg

ATM'w were actually started in the Hawaiian Islands so tourists would be able to get more cash when they ran out. They are plentiful!

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 02:13 PM
bbb

ATM's started in Hawaii ?? What is the source of this little tidbit of information ??

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 07:07 AM
dsg

I have read it on numerous sites, but it is referenced at the following URL:
http://www.frommers.com/destinations...781020005.html

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Nova

With ATM's and credit cards I can't understand why anyone would bother with traveller's checks. The worst case scenario is that you lose your credit card or ATM card It is unlikely that you will lose both. And if there is more than one person in your party, there will be multiple ATM cards and credit cards.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 09:53 AM
xxx

I believe that Al Gore invented ATMs when he was visiting Maui.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 10:24 AM
crys

Even better than ATMs: use your debit card at major stores (Long's Drug, Safeway, WalMart) and get extra cash with the purchase. that way, you avoid the ATM fee. Also--what "they" say is true: get your pictures of Hawaii developed there. I had mine developed at a WalMart on Kauai, and they did a much better job than the photo place that did my last roll when I returned to the mainland (and I got extra cash when I paid for the pictures, per above).

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 10:28 AM
liz

That's a good idea, Crys. Since none of the major US Banks have ATMs in Hawaii it's difficult to avoid the foreign ATM fees.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 10:33 AM
nycer

Uh, last time I checked Maui is part of Hawaii, a U.S. state. It is not part of a foreign country.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 10:39 AM
liz

A "Foreign ATM fee" does not refer to ATMs in a foreign country. Take a look at your bank's account disclosure documents.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Sherrie

Thanks for all of the great replys. I think we will not get the travelers checks and will use our ATM/debit card as suggested and get extra money if we need it from the merchants. Good advice, I think.