Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Questions From A First Time Flier And How To Spend Time Waiting At O'Hare Airport

Search

Questions From A First Time Flier And How To Spend Time Waiting At O'Hare Airport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Lynette

I've read plenty of great advice here and now need some myself. I'll be flying for the first time soon and have a few questions:

What is the best way to avoid plugged ears? Does that happen just on take off and landing?

I know things such as scissors, etc. are banned on flights, but will tweezers in my makeup bag also be a no-no?

Concerning O'Hare airport, what are some fun things to do to spend time waiting for the flight? A particular restaurant with good food? Any specialty shops? I know it's a huge airport. Are things such as that spread out throughout the whole place or centrally located/close by each other?

Lastly, I don't think I'll be nervous about the flight, but just in case as the time gets closer - what are some relaxation tips you all use?

Plenty of thanks for any responses.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Christie

For tips on what is allowed and what is not, go to the TSA's website: www.tsa.gov. I fly a LOT for business and I've never had my tweezers, leg razor or nail clippers given a second look in either my carryon or a checked bag.

Chewing gum helps keep your ears from blocking. Or, a good swallow will usually clear them.

I'm not a nervous flyer, but just think happy thoughts!

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Bill

How to avoid plugged ears? Chew gum or suck on a piece of candy swallowing continuously. ALso, try yawning alot when you feel the pressure building in your ears. If all else fails, hold your nose and keep your mouth closed and try exhale. This will force pressure into your ears. If you should have a cold or your sinuses are bothering you your ears will be more sensitive to pressure. Try taking an antihistamine before flying. The antihistamine may make you a bit drowsy and that may be relaxing for you. I find my ears tend to be bothered more on landing when the descent begins. Other people may be different. If in doubt of what you can or cannot put in your carry on bag, call your airline and they will tell you the guidelines. However, if you are in doubt of anything in your carry on, you will want to pack it in your checked bag, thus avoiding the possibilty of something you may need being confiscated by security. Sorry I can't help you on O'Hare...my connections are usually quick. Have a great trip!

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 01:22 PM
a

Re plugged ears: if you have sinus problems or nasal congestion, I think it is worth it to use neo-synephrine type nasal spray. Use before departure, and on a long flight before landing. I believe it takes about an hour for it to work.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Regina

While at O'Hare get a shoulder massage. I can't think of a better way to kill time and get those travel kinks out. Enjoy!

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 03:05 PM
Connie

O Hare has a good web site that has diagrams of restaurants, shops, services, etc.

Terminals 1 & 3 have a Wolfgang Puck and Chili's Restaurants. Terminal 3 only has a Chili's.

I saw the masseuse there. Regina has a great idea to pass time and relax.

If you like to surf the web, they have internet sites.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 03:07 PM
Carrie

Agree with the gum or candy for the ear popping, wear comfortable clothing, nothing to warm, nothing to cool, some flights are very warm and on some you will need a blanket, which most airlines will furnish, for a long flight, take a good book, pack a light snack and a small bottle of H2O. If you have a window seat, look out, there is always something to see, unless you are over the wing. Flying can be a very enjoyable experience, I hope yours is grand!

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Lynette

Sending this to the top for any other suggestions

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Kris

Here's a link to a list of all the restaurants at O'Hare. The only two I've tried at O'Hare are Panda (Chinese takeout) and Pizzeria Uno because we are usually in a hurry. Chili's location outside of O'Hare have good sandwiches, burgers, salads and I assume the quality is equivalent at O'Hare.

http://www.ohare.com/ohare/passenger_services/service_food.shtm#corner

And here's a list of shops, nothing all that exciting

http://www.ohare.com/ohare/passenger_services/service_shops.shtm#mind

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 11:42 AM
kam

There's a branch of Berghoff's famous German restaurant in Terminal C (United) Pizza always good---Chicago Vienna Beef Hot dog. Bookstores etc.