Maui: 2 day, toddler-friendly itinerary, pls review/help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, after being on Oahu for 2 months we decided to go to Maui this weekend : 2 full days. Will be traveling with 2- 2yr olds who are steady, adventurous little boys. Please help review my itinerary see if it looks good or if there's too much on it, or if I'm missing something? Or if something listed is too hard a walk w/ kids. Thanks!

Day 1: leave aiport at 6:45am and begin clockwise road to Hana. (bring lunch/snacks)
-lower puohokammoa falls
-haipuaiena falls
-stop and get homemade bananna bread
-upper waikani falls
-hanawi falls
-makapipi falls
-shave ice somewhere? recommendations??
-lava tubes
-nahiku road?
-nahiku falls?
-blue pool??--(is this a toddler friendly hike?)
-wainapanapa park's pailoa beach--stop and play for a couple hours-this is a good beach for little ones?
-turn around and drive to wailea (kiddies nap on drive back...)
-dinner at hotel

Day 2:

-stop at snorkel bobs( where is one from wailea?)
-go early to kapalua beach and take turns snorkeling, while kids play on beach
-lunch in lahaina, walk around a little
-lahaina's banyan tree park
-hotel, shower change , chill...checkout
-shave ice @local boy in kihei
-drive to Iao Valley on way to airport
-airport at 5:30 for 6:30 flight
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 07:17 AM

I guess you know what your children will enjoy. My first impression was, this is way too much, they will be exhausted and feel like all they did was get in and out of the car all day. My kids would have gotten to the first stop and wanted to stay and play, when they were that age the beach and water would keep them happy for hours. I would not plan as many stops on the Road to Hana. Day two looks much more manageable. My kids would have been dropping from exhaustian with Day 1's schedule, but then again, when they were two they took three-hour naps
I'm sure you will have fun whatever you choose to do!
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

W/ Day 1- Some of the waterfalls are viewable from the car or standing at the side of the road, but some you actually need to get out and walk to. Just mainly wanted to know if the "walk-to" ones were easy, toddler-friendly walks. Would hate to get out, start walking only to find it too difficult to proceed. Thanks!
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 09:02 AM

One set of falls in Hana, up from the seven pools area, took us about an hour to hike UP to but we thought it was worth it. Of course we lingered along the way. Two year olds???, maybe not so much fun for them. Although, we did see one of the biggest centipedes ever along the trail and trying to hide in the bamboo forests was fun and eerie at the same time.

The water in the pools were really cool, maybe even cold both times we were there.

Aloha

M
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

No, an hour long hike is def not on the agenda. After reading the Maui Revealed book, they listed several waterfalls along the Hana road that were viewable just from the road pulloff or a 5-10min walk from it. Just a few of those to keep everyone awake and interested (the boys go crazy over waterfalls!) and a play at the black sand beach will be a super-fun day for all I'm sure.

Anyone know about the blue pool/waterfall..as to whether it's a short easy hike or not? Not sure if we'll make that stop or not. The book made it sound easy and short but I'm just not quite sure... Thanks! More interested in the waterfall there than swimming in the pool...though maybe you can just see that from the road?
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 10:20 AM

Blue pool is about two miles off the main street. You park in some guys yard (and pay him a couple bucks for the privlidge). It's about a 1/4 mile hike down the beach which is made up of rocks. I would not reccomend letting the little ones attempt this but you could carry them. But, the blue pool is well worth the trip. Great pool for wading in and the day I was there, the falls were flowing!

Wish I could be on Oahu for two months!