Beating the caravan to Hana

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 07:59 AM
Janet

Beating the caravan to Hana

Hi,

Going to Maui in January and will be stayin in the Upcountry (KULA).

What would be the best route for us to take for Hana? Usually people start from Piaa but would it be better cut across a bit after Piaa to beat the rush? We much rather be the leaders in the pack than in the middle somewhere. But we dont want to miss anything either.

And on the way back, go back on the road or could is there another way back to Kula?

Is message for those that familiar with the Maui roads -- but any help would be REALLY appreciated!

TIA,
Janet

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 02:01 PM
bluefan

First tip: get the book Maui Revealed to help plan your Road to Hana trip and the rest of your vacation.

My suggestions are:
1) Leave early. You're already closer to the road than others, but it's a good idea to be past Paia by 8am. And no matter what time you leave, you will always end up behind some other vehicle. Just relax and enjoy it. Don't turn around if it's pouring rain...it'll lighten up once you get near the Hana airport.
2) We stopped off at most of the points recommended before Hana and wished we had hadn't. The waterfalls after Hana are much better and so are the beaches.
3) The points I did like most before Hana were (i) Nahiku road, the lush vegetation and coastline view at the end of the road is amazing and so are the waterfalls near the end. One was particularly enchanting since no one else was around and (ii) Waianapanapa Park with the black sand beach was cool.
4) Not much in Hana to do. You might want to check out the Red Sand beach.
5) After Hana, hang out at Hamoa Beach for a while. It was one of our favorite spots to relax.
6) See the waterfalls (larger than before) along the roads and to the side of bridges.
7) Stop off at the Haleakala Nat'l Park center. DEFINITELY take the Pipowi trail up to Waimoku Falls (Huge!). If you see only one waterfall on your trip, this should be it. It's a 2hr round trip (2.2 miles each way) hike but well worth it...especially going through the serene bamboo forest.
8) Then cool off at the O'heo Gulch (7 Sacred Pools).

If you want to try to see as much as possible, then spend at least one night at Hana. That way you can see all the sites before Hana WITHOUT rushing one day and see the sites after Hana the next day WITHOUT the crowds, which pour in after 2pm.

If you decide to take the road around East Maui through Kaupo and onto Kula, I would recommend a 4x4. We made it through with a compact car, but it was more stressful and tiresome than it was worth. The gravel roads weren't so bad...it was the ENDLESS miles of potholes that limited us to 5-10mph. The sight and FEEL of the paved road when we finally reached it was heaven. The Road to Hana is a piece of cake compared to the road afterwards.

Hope this helps!

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Janet

Wow, that was loads of info! I loved it!

You were able to do all this in one Day? Or two? Because we're thinking about leaving at around 6am (after sunrise) hitting rt 360 (I think thats what it is) right after Paia but before the twin falls.

Haleakala Nat'l Park, We're thinking about going there on another day, early in the morning for the sunrise. And then bike down. But I'm not sure how this bike thing works, go they give us the ability to stoll around through the trails? Because I really want to hike there as well. Or should we go again to hike?

So far,
1 Road To Hana,
2 Haleakala Nat'l Park
Five more days to think about I'll pick up the copy of Maui Revealed I've heard some great things about that book on this forum.

Any quiet/secluded places on Maui or what? It seems like everything is crowed.

Thanks again!
Janet

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 07:48 AM
abc

I think the Haleakala Nat'l Park center Bluefan mentioned above is the park where O'heo Gulch is. You park at the parking lot ($10 per car) then hike towards the mountain side of the stream up to the waterfall. After the hike then come back for the Seven Scared pools (O'heo Gulch).

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 04:44 PM
bluefan

Hi Janet, abc is correct. Haleakala Nat'l Park has two primary visitor areas: the first is the huge "crater" area and the second being the smaller area south of Hana. If you go to either one first and pay the $10 entry permit, save it as you can come again and visit the other site without paying again for 6 days (I believe).

We did the Road to Hana trip in one day. Leaving Kanapaali around 6:30am and returning to Lahaina for dinner at 9:30pm. It was a very exhausting but exhilarating day. We didn't leave O'heo Gulch until 7:20pm, just minutes before sunset. That's why if you want to see as many sites as possible, it's wise to spend at least one night in Hana. Despite our full day, we still missed a lot of sites like the Blue Pool, Venus Pool and several waterfalls. But then again, we spent a little over an hour to try power-hanggliding at the Hana Airport (stunning views with an incredible feeling of being out in the open air so high) and stopped to relax at Hamoa Beach.

If you do the Haleakala sunrise and bike trip down, I don't think you will be allotted much time to venture the trails. We passed on the bike trip and decided to hike into the Sliding Sands Trail to get a feel for the crater, and we didn't regret it.

Enjoy Maui!

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Nova

The best way to "beat the caravan to Hana is to forget about doing the Raod to Hana". I and many others feel that it is highly over rated.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 09:31 AM
bluefan

While many may share the same feelings as Nova (I too thought it was a bit overrated), if this is your first trip to Maui, you would certainly miss out on one of top ventures on Maui and not had the privilege of forming your own opinion on the subject matter. My suggestion is to do it as planned...see as much you possibly can...take some time to relax at a nice beach along the way or cool off at O'heo Gulch...then come back and inform other Fodorites as to the things you enjoyed and disliked on your trip. We're all here to share our experiences to potentially help out each other and to learn before we go.

My opinion on why people don't enjoy the Road to Hana trip is because they start off hoping it lives up to the hype--crazy, adventurous road that has lush greenery, gorgeous coastline, huge waterfalls, etc... But if all you do is stick to the highway only to stop to look at the small waterfalls or view the coastline from the side of the road, you will be tremendously disappointed. The Road to Hana does have many of the qualities I mentioned above, but you have to know where to look for them and to venture "off the beaten path." Venture away from all the crowds, and you will experience the joys of the Road to Hana. Our highlights were the end of Nahiku Road and especially the Pipowi Trail to Waimoku Falls...with only a few other tourists to enjoy! It's a shame that others didn't experience what we did, but what a blessing for us!

Have a great trip Janet and share with others when you get back.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Janet

Bluefan,

The trails/etc you mentioned how did you know about them? Were they all in the Maui revealed book?

Thanks,
Janet

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 10:03 AM
mtsod

I traveled to Maui in May for a honeymoon. Drove the road to Hana. I agree, with the previous posters that it is a tourist trap. Nicer waterfalls in the mainland. Tacky, vendors selling elvis shirts and other useless "dust collectors" to tour busses senior citizens. Also the various falls and streams were full of people when we went. You could not take a picture without someone in the shot. We didn't drive back the way we came though. We drove straight through with a convertable. The road was fine and the scenery was better than the road to Hana was. Don't waiste your time unless you are bored silly.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 01:35 PM
joan

Well, I for one will be "wasting my time" (two days and nights!) in Hana. My husband and I are going next month, Caribbean-lovers first trip to Hawaii, and I can't wait to explore those little-known trails, early in the morning! Bluefan, I'm glad you recommend exploring mostly around and beyond Hana, since we plan to drive to our rental cottage first, then explore the Hana area. Glad to know the best stuff is at Hana itself! Mahalo!

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 02:37 PM
Nova

Even the most devoted Hana fans say that the attraction is not Hana itself but The Road to Hana !!

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 04:18 PM
mj

Just back from a month on Maui. Our last trip there was b/k, before kids, nine years ago. Back in the old days we would always stay 4 or 5 nights in Hana, our idea of heaven. Used to spend our days there hiking, playing in hidden pools, and enjoying the wonderful beauty and calm of Hana after the day-trippers left in the late afternoon. This trip, decided to do our first Hana day trip with the kiddies. One got sick at about the 12 mile mark, the other on the road to Blue Pool. (Nothing like being parents!) Biggest change we noticed was the number of people at the formerly "hidden spots." We caught about 20 minutes alone at Blue Pool before a group of about 20 appeared complete with cigarettes dangling from mouths. Must admit that I love using "the Ultimate Guides" on the other islands but now see the down side of so much info on great spots being out there and available on the island I know the best. No secret spots left in Hana. Still a gorgeous place. Spent most of the day at Hamoa Beach and then headed back through Kaupo- beautiful and majestic views (definitely a better route out than in) - but as a previous poster mentioned, the road is brutal and finally reaching black top near Kula is akin to reach road nirvana.
Would recommend a very early start- we left Paia where we were staying at 6:30am and saw only locals going the other direction. Would recommend a stop at Anthony's in Paia if you need to load up on java. Great breakfasts there too but wouldn't do a big egg breakfast before the Hana roads twists and turns. There is also a place in Paia that lends dogs to go with your picnic lunch to Hana. So if you miss puppy....
Would also recommend spending some time on the Northshore. The drive from Paia to Makawao in the early morning is beautiful and often missed. The reward can be cream puffs at the Komoda Store in Makawao and a beautiful view.