Maryland suburbs

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Jennifer B.

Maryland suburbs

Can anyone recommend a nice place to stay in the Maryland suburbs of D.C. for a June weekend wedding (an inn or B&B)? Thanks!

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Polly

How far out do you want to go? Where is the wedding?

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 06:24 AM
Jennifer B.

It's in Potomac. There is a block of rooms at the Bethesda Marriott but I was hoping for something more appealing. We could stay in D.C., I suppose, but we'll have a car and I was thinking it would be better to avoid driving in and out repeatedly.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 07:12 AM
JTA

Jennifer, exactly where in Potomac? Unfortunately, the name "Potomac" is overused here as it's considered
"the" posh area to live in and anyone close to the line says they live in "Potomac." There is even "North Potomac" now, which is abutts Gaithersburg (where I live). If the wedding is in Potomac proper, that's fairly far south and staying in DC, especially the Georgetown area, isn't too farfetched. Also, what amenities are you looking for?

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Jennifer B.

I don't know exactly where in Potomac, but we are told that the wedding site is 10 miles from the Bethesda Marriott. Several hotels in D.C. are also proposed, so presumably it's not too far out. I feel sort of silly for balking at the Marriott, but I just feel that we've stayed in too many generic suburban hotels for family events lately! Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 12:41 PM
JTA

I know what you mean about generic hotels, they can be pretty boring. However, I'm not sure that the type of accomodations you mentioned in your original post (inn or B&B) would 1) be available within a decent proximity from the wedding site (we do a LOT of driving around here) and 2)if there was a B&B or inn locally, if it would be able to accomodate your party. How many people are in your party?

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Jennifer B.

Just two or four. We are not necessarily trying to stay with all of the guests en masse. You are so nice to try to help me out with this!

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Jason

Stay in the 'burbs, not DC. You will be putting up with crazy traffic, even on a weekend. If you are 10 miles from Bethesda Marriot (I assume it's the Pooks Hill MArriot), then you can either stay in Bethesda which has plenty to do (there's a Holiday Inn right on Wisconsin) such as bars, restuarants and a movie theater. I can't think of any hotels in Potomac itself since it's really developmentally challenged there. Even the roads are narrow. But anyways, I suggest staying somewhere on Wisconson Avenue in Bethesda rather than trying to fight the DC traffic.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 01:11 PM
JTA

Check out this site, it may be what you're looking for:
http://www.reynolds-bed-breakfast.com

It's located in Derwood, which is between Rockville and Gaithersburg. Fairly easy access to I-270, which is the road you will probably use to get back and forth from Potomac. It sounds so nice I might have to talk my husband into a weekend there!

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 12:57 PM
Christina

If that hotel is the Marriott Pook's Hill, I wouldn't want to stay there for a lot of reasons -- it's not near a metro stop, and that's not an area with sidewalks or anything, just a hotel by a freeway and very large roadway. Unfortunately, staying on Wisconsin ave in Bethesda proper, which is what I'd recommend doesn't get you anything less generic hotel as that is all there is in Bethesda that I can think of -- nothing with character or an inn or anything like that, just large modern hotels, like the Hyatt or a few other chains. It would be a more convenient place to stay though, and you can walk around to go shopping, to restaurants and bars, etc., from downtown Bethesda. I don't know what you'll do staying at Pook's Hill to get into the city. Even Chevy Chase which isn't too far doesn't have anything special that I can think of. IN order to get anything with character, you need to go into DC, except...
Ok, there is an historic Victorian mansion they've just spent tons renovating that is a B&B in Takoma Park, MD. I live in that general area so know of it and it is beautiful now. Also, Takoma Park is a small relatively artsy, pleasant little town (or what passes for it in this area) and there is a metro stop there, also, a few places to eat or shop (a good pizza-parlor dive with live blues and jazz, also, is on Carroll Avenue and nearby on 4th st is the Takoma Tavern, one of the best jazz venues in the DC area).

You can get to the Bethesda area fairly simply driving west on Route 410, East-West Highway, from Takoma Park. Here is its URL: http://www.daviswarnerinn.com/

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Christina

you know, once I looked at that web site, I realized it isn't the newly renovated famous mansion I thought near the metro (which is for sale). I do know where this B&B is and it has been renovated nicely, also, and I think would be a decent choice for you for what you want, but it's not the big grand mansion I thought on Eastern Ave. It is convenient to the beltway, major roads, and is in Takoma Park, all right. It would be your best choice for a B&B if you don't stay in the city, I think (it's much more convenient than being way out near Gaithersburg, although that place may be nice).