Hearst Castle

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 01:35 AM
Yael

Hearst Castle

we are planning a trip to California for the end of March. Driving from San Francisco to Los Angeles (2 days - 1 night) if I read the map right I think we will get to the area of Hearst Castle in the afternoon and we thought about the evening tour. Does anyone have a recommendation about it? do we need to reserve tickets? how much a head?

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 02:11 AM
SharingItsWebsite

Can't give specific advice on night tours or even if you NEED advance reservations at this time of the year. If it was in the summer months I would say definitely YES.
Here's its website URL:

http://www.hearstcastle.org/welcome.asp

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 05:34 AM
Serena

My husband and I went in November. I called the number listed on the web site and I was told that it was better to book the tours ahead of time. I was glad that I did. They offered three or four tours at that time. My husband is handicapped and I booked a special tour for the two of us. Then I booked another tour that included a lot of walking for myself. They were very gracious and we enjoyed the tour. I have not done the evening tour. I advise booking ahead of time.

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 06:44 AM
carol

the tour is fabulous! i'd suggest a tour during the day to see the views. it isn't inexpensive but it is worth the money.

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 08:39 AM
william

Reservations -- yes!

I've never done the evening tour, but you will be missing something if you don't do the daytime tour; the views are spectacular.

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 08:46 AM
c

The evening tour is my favorite, but it's only offered on select nights and definitely requires advance reservations. The groups tend to be smaller during the evening tour and the castle gardens are all lit up.

I'd recommend reserving a room in nearby Cambria for the evening, so you don't have far to drive after the tour. A few favorite restaurants in Cambria include Sow's Ear and Robin's.

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 10:06 AM
xxx

Call Caltrans ahead of time and make sure that HWY 1 is open for travel before you start your descent. It often washes out during winter storms and doesn't get repaired until spring.

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 10:13 AM
TT

ttt

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 12:44 PM
xxx

make reservations.

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 01:14 PM
kam

Absolutely, make a reservation. The #1 tour is best for daytime first timers. The evening tour is lovely, but as others say, no views. Book a hotel on Moonstone Beach in Cambria, just south of Hearst Castle. Sow's Ear is good food and cozy and Brambles is a delight. Reserve for dinner as well. Hope the rains will have stopped by the time of your visit.