Marriott Residence Inn, Delray Beach, Florida

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2018, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any comments or experience with this hotel?
We're thinking of going to Florida for a couple of weeks in January and would like to try staying in Delray Beach this time because we liked the energy of it when we spent a day and evening there last year.

I know it's an old hotel and not glamorous but there are a lot of aspects I like (location, free breakfasts/wi-fi/parking/ kitchenette) and the price is about as good as I'm going to get at that time of year.

I've read the reviews, both on the hotel's website and TA, but would like a more personal Fodorite experience if possible.

Other hotel suggestions would be welcome. We'd like to stay right in town and at not much more than $300/night. The parking rates for some hotels are exorbitant, some up around $35/night, and some also have a daily resort fee. I'd like to avoid that if I can. We can get a senior rate at the Marriott for $315 with no charge for any of the other stuff and no resort fee.

Many thanks in advance.
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 08:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Most unfortunately I am not the DelRay expert around here (but as I recall somebody is so am topping this).
I know that place is what, about 1.5 blocks off the beach so that would seem to be a good location (on the beach is always going to cost more)

Look, you can drive to glamour if you feel so inclined and there are sniffy folks who think anything south of Palm Beach doesn't exist so ignore them and hope it all works out for you.
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Dukey. Yes, the location is one of the attractions for me. Atlantic Avenue is lively at night and nice for strolling and browsing in the daytime, there's a good library, a weekly uke jam (of interest only to us, I know), the hotel has a pool but it's just across the road from the beach, and there's a great blues bar around the corner. The location is especially good for me because it means I don't have to drive my SO to the golf course just so I can have the car for the rest of the day.

We're definitely not Palm Beach people. We're much more casual and anyway, I don't have the wardrobe or the sense of style for PB (to say nothing of the bank account). We did go to a lovely art show there last year and have been to the theatre and we'll do those things again but Delray is more our style of living. Plus it's about as far north as I want to go.

Delray expert, are you out there?
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 06:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh, please...of course you have the "sense of style" and it is the one that matters.
Old Aug 26th, 2018, 02:18 AM

I spend the winter about 20 minutes north of there. I don't know about hotels but the Marriott sounds fine.
It's funny. I like to think I look pretty good as far as style goes but when I am in Florida I wear my most casual stuff and am usually far underdressed compared to some people. I usually wear nice jeans and a plain t-shirt for restaurants. I'm saying this only because when we do eat out, we almost always go to Palm Beach because our favorite restaurant is there. Granted, it is a stylish crowd but I've never felt out of place in jeans and t-shirt, and my partner, who is NOT the most stylish person on the planet, wears shorts and plain t-shirt. Repeat after me: It does not matter! Say it again!!! And our favorite restaurant in PB is a much better value than many in Delray. Super nice people, terrific food. Chef is James Beard award winner. The name is Buccan; go if you will be in Delray.

I know the Delray restaurants pretty well and if you do go there I will give you my take on them. For now, the one we go to when we go there is called 50Ocean, which is likely right near your hotel choice.
And there is Scuola Vecchia for pizza, on Atlantic Avenue....$6 pizza from 5-6 weekdays and Sundays.
Quite good. Tons of choices, as you know. You can play golf there for about $12, according to partner; I can get details if you want.

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Aug 26th, 2018 at 02:21 AM.
Old Aug 26th, 2018, 03:34 AM

Actually stayed there some years ago. It's fine. A lot of money but not really a bad price for Jan in south Florida, especially considering parking and breakfast. Also like Delray.
Old Aug 26th, 2018, 08:09 AM

a weekly uke jam (of interest only to us, I know)
I'm considering taking ukelele lessons when I retire (December). If we end up in Florida, I'll let you know (our "style" is very similar to yours).
Old Aug 26th, 2018, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

"Repeat after me: It does not matter! Say it again!!"
Honestly, eks, it really doesn't matter to me. I'm perfectly comfortable with my style. We spent a couple of days in PB (just separate visits, not staying over) and a couple in DR. I just think DR is more fun. I loved the theatre in PB, though, and we'll go there again. I'm going to make a note of your restaurant recs. The only ones I remember are Rocco's Tacos and Boston's on the Beach, although we just went there for drinks and music.

"You can play golf there for about $12, according to partner; I can get details if you want."
I'd love that, thanks! I don't golf but my SO does and I know he'd be happy to hear about this.

"Actually stayed there some years ago. It's fine. A lot of money but not really a bad price for Jan in south Florida, especially considering parking and breakfast. Also like Delray."
Gail, do you mean you stayed in that hotel or in Delray? Fine is good enough for me. And yes, the free parking is a big savings. Money I'd rather spend on stuff that was more fun. And I love the location.

"I'm considering taking ukelele lessons when I retire (December). If we end up in Florida, I'll let you know (our "style" is very similar to yours)."
You'll love uke, sf! If it's possible, find yourself a group jam or workshop -- you'll learn a lot by being in a group. Also, just to give you a jump on it, we went to three (of four) days of a workshop given by a fantastic player/teacher named James Hill. He lives in New Brunswick, I think, but was in Toronto giving these free workshops so he could video tape them for his on-line courses. Here's his website, if you're interested in taking an on-line course. Listen to some of his songs there:
www.jameshillmusic.com
But also listen to this, just for the amazement factor:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gyxeXW_2T8
Definitely let me know if you're going to be in Fla in January!

Thanks so much, everyone!
Old Aug 27th, 2018, 06:30 AM

Stayed in that exact hotel - but it was a few years back. Since I go to area 1-3 times/year, and vary where I stay, don't remember real specifics about this hotel - which is why I say it is "fine". If it was horrible or outstanding, I would remember details.
Old Aug 27th, 2018, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, gail. I'm pretty sure I've checked out the major hotels but just in case, can you suggest a few others you've liked?
Do you still go to Delray? Any chance you're going to be there in January?