Marriott Marquis or Rihga Royal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2005, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im coming to NY from the Uk next week- I have got similar rates at the above 2 hotels booked for my weekend- they both look nice and seem to both be in good locations. I cant decide between the 2- does anyone out there have some advise for me?
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 04:56 AM

Definitely the Righa Royal. First off, the rooms are all suites with a separate parlor area and sofa bed. The bathrooms are all marble and even have heated toilet seats! Plus the location, in my opinion, is much more desirable because it is in a fairly quiet area but you can still walk to the theater district and 5th Ave.

With the Marquis, you'll probably end up with a standard room. The hotel is smack in the middle of Times Sq, and Times Sq makes me feel claustraphobic. The hotel's lobby is on the 7th floor so you are elevated from it all but I still hate stepping out from the Marquis into all that chaos. On the other hand, if you have never been to NYC before, that may be exactly what you are looking for...

Hope this helps a bit.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 04:56 AM
GoTravel

Rihga Royal!

Run as far and as fast away as you can from the Marriott Marquis. Why?

It is a big box no personality convention hotel in the middle of Times Square.

You'll wait forever for elevators unless it is 3AM.

They tore down two theaters to build this monstrosity.

You will be run over by tourists wanting to go to: The Broadway Bar, The View, and the Broadway Theater inside the hotel.

It is one of the largest hotels in NYC and is almost always filled to capacity with some conference/convention or another.

The Times Square location is right smack on top of Times Square. You are close at the RR but can still get out of the madness.

Old Aug 9th, 2005, 05:18 AM

OK, here's a diffent opinion.
I've stayed in both.
Which has the nicer rooms? Well, Rhiga Royal's suites are a little more nicely decorated and there is a door between the bed and the sofa if that is important, but overall the square foot total of the suite is not so different from the standard rooms at the Marquis. At the Marquis, we always turn the sofa around to face wall to wall, floor to ceiling windows that offer a gigantic screen view of Times Square looking up Broadway (we have always requested and always gotten such a view -- about 8 or 9 times now).
While there is no privacy between the bedroom and the living room, the overall area seems less crowded to me than at the Rhiga. The Marquis is noted for having the "largest standard rooms" in Manhattan.

Regarding the elevators. Yes, it is a zoo in the elevator lobby, and a bit of a game to try to guess which will be the next one and be in line to take it. But we waited even longer at the Rhiga for one, as they are also severely "under elevatored".

If you've never been to New York, I'd think the buzz, crowds, and excitement of being in Times Square is worth it. If you live in a place like New York or if you are traveling for business, the Rhiga might be a more quiet and relaxing "haven" for you, however.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 05:20 AM

RihgaRoyal!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 05:25 AM

Rhiga Royal - unless you want to spend your vacation in an atmosphere similar to the Times Square subway station.

Caveat: I'm a native New Yorker and never understand why people want to be near Times Square unless on their way to the theater - just too tacky, loud and garish.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone... just to give some more information, my husband and I have been to NY before and live in London so am in no particular need for hustle and bustle!! We just want somewhere reasonable that we can walk to most of the attractions from that isnt going to cost a months salary!. Thanks again
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 05:46 AM

I would also recommend the Rhiga Royal. It is a very pleasant hotel, all suites, close to many attractions, but not in their midst. Its street is not the most beautiful or atmospheric in NYC, but it is certainly pleasant enough. The Marriott Marquis is a better choice only if one wishes to stay right in the middle of Times Square-- I would not, but I am not the one traveling. The Marriott Marquis is cavernous, a hotel designed to keep large convention groups inside the building. It is relatively charmless, with the anonymous you-could-be-anywhere feel of an airport terminal. That said, if you want Times Square at your doorstep, then definitely choose it-- it is certainly clean and competently run.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 06:04 AM

Righa Royale - this is a nobrainer
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 06:50 AM

I had the occasion to walk by the Marriott Marquis a couple of months ago, or should I say I tried to walk by. The number of people on the sidewalk was overwhelming. I would avoid that area like the plague. NY is completely sold out, and feels every bit of it.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 07:26 AM

The Rhiga. No doubt about it. The Marriott is just that -- a Marriott. The rooms are probably perfectly acceptable, but the Rhiga's are nicer and the service is supposed to be quite good.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 08:05 AM

Since you've reposted about where you live and state you've been to New York before, I'd agree that Rhiga Royale is preferred. For some of us who live in small town America, the hustle, bustle, and chaos of Times Square is just what we want when on vacation. If I wanted an elegant, quiet place to stay without all the glitz, I'd just stay home.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 08:16 AM

I know that up until recently that the Rihga Royal WAS a Marriot. Is that no longer the case?
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 08:38 AM
GoTravel

The Righa Royal was never a Marriott.

Marriott was the management company for the RR but it didn't seem to be a good pairing.

Old Aug 9th, 2005, 08:45 AM

It was a JW Marriott at one point in time (I stayed there several times at the employee rate when working for Marriott). I wonder why Marriott dropped out as management.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 08:56 AM

I didn't realize they had. The Rihga was a wonderful place before Marriott took it over. If Marriott has left, maybe things will improve. There's a special on at the Rihga for $199/night now. Hope you're not paying more than that.

http://hotels.travelzoo.com/new-york-hotels/200588

Old Aug 9th, 2005, 09:32 AM

Yes, when I stayed at the Rhiga Royale it was "The JW Marriot Rhiga Royale". We stayed one night free with a Marriott certificate.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 10:01 AM
GoTravel

The Marriott pulled their name off the hotel fairly quickly. It was hurting the RR rather than helping.

Old Aug 10th, 2005, 12:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Everyone- Rihga Royal it is !
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 06:11 AM

I have stayed at both hotels, and recommend the Rihga Royal.

Woody