Marriott Marco Island

Search

Marriott Marco Island

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 02:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marriott Marco Island

What side trips are do-able from this resort? Anyone been here since the major construction has been completed? Are the hotel restaurants a rip-off? Going next month.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:47 AM

I have never stayed there but have stayed at the Hilton and Radisson which are great hotels. I never eat in the hotels as I have found them to be expensive and average. As for great food on Marco, try Joey's Pizza for a great meal/beer. Snook Inn has a great lunch with a view. For breakfast we always visit this great place in the same shopping center as the Publix. You can do a side trip down to the Everglades or even go up to Naples downtown for some nice shopping.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 06:41 AM

If you like Buffets, the Marriott has a nice buffet with different themes nightly. I also enjoy the Snook Inn. Very casual but on the water and they usually have a one-man band. For side trips - you might want to rent a pontoon boat from the Marina on Marco or if you head off of Marco towards Naples there is a place where you can rent kayaks. I can't remember the name but they might know at the hotel.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 03:11 AM

Just pick up the phone and call the hotel directly re: completion of renovations. I called about a month ago regarding the spa and was told that it would be completed in September.

Hotel restaurants are usually more expensive as they have to contribute to the profit picture of the hotel as well as standing on their own. Marriott has been upgrading their restaurants on a massive scale in Florida. I haven't been to the Marco recently to comment but did have one of the best meals to date in Florida at the Harbour Beach resort in Fort Lauderdale.

We have always enjoyed Quinns on the Beach at the Marco hotel. Eating outside right on the beach is fun and the Quinn's often has lobster and clam bakes.

I'd take a trip to the Everglades if the weather is cooler (not likely in August) and would definitely do the Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary (one of the oldest Audubon places).

I'd charter a fishing boat for one day, you could do shallow back back fishing or deep water in the gulf.

One day to Naples to shop, gawk, and dine. I'd focus on Third Street South area and Fifth Avenue. Dinner or lunch at Tommy Bahama.

The rest of the time I'd just hang out in the world's largest bath tub (the Gulf in August), keeping an eye on the thunderhead clouds. They have beachside service for drinks. Catch up on your reading and chill. LMF
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 03:17 AM

Well the edit function is lost on me.

Recommend shallow back BAY fishing. I love flats fishing and Marco has some great spots. LMF
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 12:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
We stayed at the Marriott over Easter and weren't bothered at all by the construction. I would assume that the exterior construction is finished and they are now doing interior. Everything but the spa was already renovated. The food at the hotel restaurants was good but not cheap.
We loved Corkscrew and also enjoyed the jet ski tour that went out from the beach at the hotel.