Marco Island?

Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marco Island?

We are considering going to Marco Island in the fall for our anniversary. I've never been to Marco Island and needed advice/opinions as to what activites/entertainment is there to do on the island. Also interested in restaurants that offer good food. Looking at staying at the Hilton Marco Island Beach resort. Also,which airport would you fly into? I'm thinking Ft.Myers? Any advice???
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:44 AM

I have never stayed at the Hilton on Marco Island but it looks nice. The closest airport would be Ft. Myers. There is not alot to do on Marco Island. We have rented a pontoon boat which is nice. If you leave the island going towards Naples there is a place where you can rent kayaks. Naples is great for shopping and has lots of good restaurants. One restaurant we enjoy on Marco is the Snook Inn. It is very casual but right on the water and usually has live entertainment - well, a one-man band. Have fun!
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 02:15 PM
wow

We used to stay @ The Hilton a lot but lately have been going to the East coast instead. Ask for the "Junior Suite". It has a separate living room & an extra bathroom. The sunsets are spectacular...everyone on Marco walks down to the beach w/ drink in hand, everybody stops walking, playing, jogging whatever as the sun sinks below the horizon(well it doesn't really sink but you know what I mean!) It's quite an amazing sight. As for restaurants, I don't know if it is still there, but we always enjoyed Cafe de Marco which is a short cab drive from the Hilton.
You fly into Ft Myers.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 02:32 PM

One comment about where to fly into. RSW (Ft. Myers is certainly the closest, about an hour drive from Marco), but often well priced flights are difficult to find to there. Don't be afraid of looking at fares into Ft. Lauderdale (FLL). Although I live in Naples, I have been doing the majority of my flights in and out of Ft. Lauderdale as I usually get much better prices and more options for direct flights to many of my destinations. And the airport there is right at the end of the expressway (I-75, then I-295) so the total drive is probably less than an hour more than going to Ft. Myers. Ft. Lauderdale is also a nice and easy airport of arrivals, departures, and car rentals.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 10:01 AM

Been to Marco many times,going again in May.We stayed at the Hilton many years ago.We prefer to rent a condo for the week.Restaurants:Cafe de Marco is still open.Try Little Bar,Island Cafe,Bavarian and Conrads.I would rent a car.Fishing,golf are avalible.It is a short drive to Everglades Nat'l Park.For nightlife go to Naples. Have a great trip.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 07:17 PM

A friend & her husband going to Marco Island and staying at the Hilton. I'll give her report... she leaves April 23. **Henry109... can you tell me which condo you stay at? We plan on going to the island March 2005. Would like a 2 bed/2bath, beachfront.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 01:25 PM

We stayed at the Hilton quite a few times. It is in a good location with a nice beach. Like Henry we have rented condos on recent trips and enjoy that much more. It is nice to have extra room and privacy. Also, the sunset view is even more wonderful if you have a view directly over the beach.

It took us a while to find restaurants that we really liked but we have been really happy with Verdi's and the dining room at the Marco Ocean Resort (the new preferred hotel in town). We stayed at the Ocean Resort once but would not return. It was much more expensive than the Hilton and although the room was nicer it was not worth the price.

There is also a great restaurant on the Isle of Capri (10 minutes from Marco) the Blue Heron. The ownership changed last fall but it seemed just as good when we were there in November.

For a casual meal try the grouper at the Sand Bar. It is a sports bar that is really casual with mostly locals. The food is very good and very inexpensive. Also the Fat Pelican (across the street from the Hilton) is a great place for deli sandwiches for lunch. We get take-out from there often.

Also Naples is a 30 minute drive from Marco so it is easy to go there for dinner and there are many more options.
We have rented bikes from a shop on the island and have enjoyed riding around the island but there is not a great deal of things to do from Marco. Although we have never made the trip there is a boat that goes from there to the Keys as a day trip. The Everglades are very close by as well but we have never made the trip.

For us, a Marco trip is about relaxing on the beach with a book or walking on the beach. If you are looking for a lot of activities Marco may not be the best place for you to go.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 10:57 AM

Sunvalley: We are staying at the Somerset.There is only one other beachfront condo,the South Seas,that will rent for only a week.We used Harborview Rentals to book the condo.There are several realtors in marco that can help you book a condo. have a great trip.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 11:06 AM
mrt

Marco Island would not be my first choice. There is more going on in naples and Captiva and Sanibel are more laid back.
The nicest hotel in marco Island is a newer hotel which I believe is named Marco Beach Ocean Resort. I have not heard anything wonderful about the Hilton. The most popular hotel is the Marriott but it is not 4 stars. Look at the Registry in Naples before you make a decision.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 03:47 AM

I disagree, Sanabel and Captiva are very quiet, but Marco, if you stay at Radisson, Hilton, or Marriott, there is always something to do- wave runners, kayaking, parasailing-alas, it does come with a price . Remember, if you choose a condo or house finding things to do will be a bit more difficult but not impossible. You need to find things to do. Research the area and see what is available to you and your family before booking an area. I can only tell you that when given the opportunity to decide on a vacation my children again chose Marco,Radisson.
1.View - Incredible sunsets
2.Water Activities
3.Beach/Pool - Pool bar(FOR ME)
4.Shells
5.Restaurants - Cafe de Marco, Snook inn, Bimini's, Marco Polo all were very good.
6.Day trips - Key West only 1/2 hr from Marco, by air. Everglades right around the corner.
Just to number a few of the thing you can do while in Marco.
I enjoy our time here as much as the kids. I just get tired of seeing people mention Marco and say there isn't anything for families there.....Unless we are the exception to the rule?
I venture to think it is all on where you stay and what you are willing to do!