Marco Island help

Jul 13th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Marco Island help

We are going to Marco Island in January, I know very little about the area and post searches haven't turned up a lot. Any suggestions on what to do while there or on day trips to neighboring areas. Also, should we fly in to Ft. Myers or Miami? We will be renting a car. Thanks!
Jul 13th, 2006, 03:24 PM

Hello!
Unless you actually want to spend time in Miami, I'd say fly into Ft. Myers. It's much closer, and to be honest, the drive from Miami over to the west coast isn't much fun.
Downtown Naples is nice - lots of cute shops, art galleries and restaurants. There are also several nature preserves all within about an hour's drive. If you haven't already, you might want to check out www.visitflorida.com for more ideas.
Enjoy!
Jul 14th, 2006, 06:51 AM

Marco in January will be crowded. Expect a lot of traffic. It will take you some time to get in and out of there, typically. There's also a small airport in Marco if you want to take a puddle jumper from Ft. Myers. I second Naples- like the shops in Old Naples. My parents lived there in 1980 for a few years, but the crowding and overbuilding was starting then, so they moved north. Going back to visit a few times over the years, we were amazed at all the new restaurants and businesses. There are still 3 places that we always enjoy- Stan's for a great fish sandwich and a lot of laughs:
http://www.stansidlehour.net/Index.html
Old Marco Inn and the Snook Inn just north of Marco on the Isla of Capri.
Jul 14th, 2006, 07:04 AM

We stayed at the Olde Marco Island Inn last year and we thought it was great. Very nice one and two bedroom units with full kitchen. Also have some penthouse units which are fabulous.

We had Mother's Day Dinner in their dining room - excellent.

We also went to the Snook Inn a couple of times!
Jul 14th, 2006, 10:50 AM

When we were in Marco Island, we went down to Everglades National Park for a day and enjoyed it.
Jul 14th, 2006, 01:38 PM

flagging