Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Marriott (Key Center) or Residence Inn for Cleveland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 07:25 AM
Cheryl

Looking to use my Marriott points and am wondering about staying at the Residence Inn versus the Marriott in downtown Cleveland. Is one better than the other in terms of location? I heard that the Marriott is centrally located. How is the area downtown that the Residence Inn is located. Ideally, I would like to be central and walk to as much as possible. We are only going to be there for 2 nights and will probably check out the R&R Hall and Tower City, and maybe the Art Museum.

Any recommendations for nightclubs with live music that may get any older crowd (30s/40s)?

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 09:35 AM
Emily

Hi Cheryl,

The Renaissance in downtown Cleveland is a great hotel and you can use your points there.
I haven't stayed at the other 2 hotels that you mentioned but I've gone back to the Renaissance several times.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 07:15 PM
Cheryl

Well I can get 2 free nights at Residence Inn and 1 free night at either the Marriott at Key Center or the Renaissance ... just wondering about the location of the Residence Inn though and what type of area downtown as opposed to Marriott/Renaissance?

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 06:19 AM
bart

I've stayed at Marriott and Renaissance about 100 times when I did business there several years back. Renaissance is more impressive, elegant older hotel at tower city. Marriott is a nicer marriott, new etc. I'm not familiar with Ress Inn. Unless you dont like older deluxe hotels go with Renaisance and use your points.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 06:21 AM
bart

to clarify:

marriott key is nicer than ave marriott, not nicer than Renaissance.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Cheryl

Anyone with any information on how the Residence Inn is downtown? How is the area? It appears on the map to be a bit farther from the center of downtown, but not by much. How is it's location compared to Marriott at Key Center/Renaissance. (I can get 2 free nights at Residence Inn, but only 1 free night at Marriott or Renaisance.)

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 05:15 PM
Debbie

Cheryl-Welcome to Cleveland! As I live here, can't comment on the accommodations between the Marriott vs RI, however, the full-service Marriott is located just off Public Sq-which are four 'blocks' in Clevelands downtown that are the considered our main area. Unfortunately, shopping at a department store in downtown isn't an option, as the 3 major stores we had are no longer open. We do, however, have Tower City Center, which is maybe a 10-minute walk from the Marriott. Lots of shopping, places to eat and movie theatres here, including the Hard Rock Cafe and Houlihans. If you prefer something more upscale, there's also both a Mortons and Hdye Park Grille. As for the RI, you're still about a 10-minute walk from Tower City, however, the route from the Marriott will be busier with more pedestrians out and about. You're within walking distance-ok, it would be a good, long walk, but doable, from the Rock Hall and the Great Lakes Science Center, which shouldn't be missed. They are right next door to each other. Cleveland Browns stadium is also next to the Rock Hall, so if you decide to drive to the Rock Hall, and its game day, parking at the lot closest to the Rock Hall will be $25. You'll need a car to get to the Art Museum, which is about 5 miles from downtown. Just a few minutes from the Art Museum is Cleveland's 'Little Italy' neighborhood-a few streets that offer numerous places to eat a very delicious meal. IMHO, the cafe at the Art Museum serves great food, although cafeteria sytle. (by the way, there's no general admission charge to the Art Museum-only exception would be if you wanted to see any special exhibition the museum might be offering). Back to the downtown area, for nightlife, you might try Fat Fish Blue (used to be a parking garage from one of our closed department stores), Flannery's or Ferris Steak House, both just down the street from the RI. The area in Cleveland called 'The Flats' has changed over the years. It used to be THE place for entertainment/nightlife, however, places have started to close and nothing has reopened in those spots--yet.

The Renaissance Hotel is part of the Tower City Complex (as is the Ritz-Carlton) and is truly a grand hotel. Even if you don't stay here, walk thru the lobby area just to see how beautiful it really is. If this hotel is one of your options, definitely take it. If not an option, suggest the Marriott, then RI.

Enjoy your time in Cleveland.

Both areas are ok, although my perference would be to stay at the full-service Marriott.