Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Marina to SF or Beyond-Worth an overnighter??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 11:51 PM
Jan

SInce I was a kid have always dreamed of going to San Franciso [ with flowers in my hair- you know like the song] Really every time I hear that song makes me want to go. However there are so many negative posts on this board I am now wondering If I should just be driving thru passing the GG bridge and heading further up the coast to overnight out of the city. Or stay in the city to see the sights? Your opinions are appreciated
Thanks
jan

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 10:20 AM
ex

Jan,

Definitely stop and see the sights in San Francisco. It's a beautiful place, with lots of great restaurants/food. I grew up in the east bay and moved to NYC, but I go home to visit family quite often and never miss the chance to go into the city and enjoy it.

I do think most of the problems the city suffers from mostly effect the resident rather than the sightseer. So go and enjoy, drink wine from Napa, have some sourdough bread, have some chocolate, catch the view from the Golden Gate. You won't be sorry

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 10:26 AM
y

You definitely need to spend a few days in the city and see all the great things that San Francisco has to offer. It's been getting an unfair bad rap on this site lately. It's still one of the greatest cities! Go see for yourself why it's one of the biggest toursist favorites.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 12:55 PM
jan

Thanks "ex" and "y". I think I knew I wouldn't be able to just drive by just needed those positive thoughts. I will ignore the negatives from now on. Can't wait!
Thanks Again
Jan

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 09:11 PM
mare

You might consider going a little north to Larkspur or Corte Madera, or to Sausalito, and then taking the ferry boat over to visit San Francisco. This would save you a hefty parking fee at the city hotels.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 10:50 PM
jan

Thanks mare,
All those tidbits help. I am just a small town girl. Its pretty intimidating even thinking about venturing out in the big city. What is the pop. in SF anyway or maybe I don't want to know. Haven't really thought about the best part of town to stay in somewhere kind of central I suppose. What would you all recommend as a good area to stay in.
Thanks Again
Jan

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 10:09 PM
jan

topper

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 09:04 AM
mare

The Best Western Tuscan Inn is a good location for first timers, not far from the wharf. Nice place.

The Columbus Motor Inn is a rarity in San Fran in that parking is included with the room rate. It is in a very good location if you'd like to park your car and walk all over the city and to fisherman's wharf, everything is within a brisk walking mile square.

I think they have a website, probably columbusmotorinn.com

Boulevards.com has a good city guide to San Francisco.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Lois

We just got back from our first trip to SF, on our way to Hawaii. What a pleasant surprise it was! The bay is more beautiful than I expected. We lucked out with unusually warm, sunny weather the day we went out for a Blue and white hour long cruise. Someone on this site had told me about it months ago. I booked online ahead of time and saved a considerable amt. of money that way.
I loved the cable cars, the hills [on Long Island, we are totally flat!]. I'd recommend lunch by Ghirardelli Sqare. I'd also recommend stopping in at the Ghirardelli ice cream parlor there. We walked through Chinatown. Had lunch at a dim sum place, but forget to bring along of recommended places, so we went to a place that gave a handout with a discount coupon. Well, the place was fine, but let me tell you, I don't believe it was an accident that we were charged too much. Everything was written in Chinese, but there was one more price than item ordered. Just beware. That goes for anywhere, I'm sure. There were a lot of street people. I'm not used to seeing that so much. Mayor Guiliani addressed that issue years ago. There was hardly a place we went in the city of SF where we didn't come across it. I will also add though, that at no time did I feel threatened by it.
I got a kick out of the winding street, which by the way, is beautiful with all the flowers on it [Lombard St. I believe]. Coit Tower area has amazing views, as does Twin Peaks, although when we were up there it was too foggy to appreciate it. Golden Gate Park was also a nice place to spend some time. We went to the Japanese Tea Gardens while we were there. Whatever your interests are, I encourage you to spend some time in SF. You won't be disappointed.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 12:47 PM
michele

I have been to SF several times, the latest just this past May. I usually stay in the Union Square area, but my fave hotel is the Argent in SoMa. I also like the Commodore, near Union Square. I've gotten great deals through Hotwire and Priceline ($100/night for the Westin St. Francis!) The city is well worth a stop of two days.

Not sure when you plan on going, but the very best time is early October. It's really SF's summer, and the light is absolutely golden. Don't miss the MoMAv(if you stay in the Argent it's only a block away!), Haight Ashbury, Chinatown, and just stolling through all the little neighborhoods. Have a great time and enjoy!!

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 12:58 PM
jan

Just wanted to Thank Everyone for your help. It looks like I should be there for a week but can't do it. It is going to be hard to pick from all the ideas I have been given. Will be there in August.
Feel free to add more info. I love it.
THANKS AGAIN
jan