Reload this Page >

Marco Is.- Just Back

Search

Marco Is.- Just Back

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Henry

Marco Is.- Just Back

Just back from Marco if anyone is interested.

Old May 20th, 2002, 09:47 AM
InquiringMinds

Well, how was it? Food? Accomodations? Sights? Would you go back?

Old May 20th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Henry

IM: Been to Marco many times and would return.Quiet resort town with many retirees & young families.Little nightlife more geared to the relaxing beach vacation.Golf & fishing avalible.We rented a condo but there are hotels.Restaurants we liked were the Bavarian Inn,Cafe de Marco,Little Bar and Pelican Bend.

Old May 20th, 2002, 11:15 AM
x

Henry, buddy that was the saddest trip report ever. Details please! It's hard to tell if you had fun.

Old May 20th, 2002, 11:39 AM
linda

Went to Marco first time 1974. Beautiful, quaint, loved it so much my parents bought a second home there. After 5 years, they moved. This island has been overdevelpoed and ruined like so many other places in Florida. The traffic is terrible, the beach is crowded with condos and high-rises. There are some good restaurants and good shelling, but the island has gone way down IMO.

Old May 21st, 2002, 05:29 AM
Henry

X: Sorry I'll try to do better.We all had fun.Weather was great 88-92 every day.Gulf water was warm and wonderful.Since it was May there was little traffic and restaurants were not crowded.Marco can get crowded in winter months.We took a 1/2 day fishing charter and had a great time.It was just my wife & I and the captain.The condo we rented was on the beach and was perfect.This board has a running controversy Marco vs.Sanibel,Captiva etc.We have been to Sanibel and enjoyed it. I would suggest people try both to gauge their preference.We have been going to Marco regularly over the past 15 yrs.It is true that it has become much more developed over that time.May has become our favorite time to go.The weather is perfect for the beach and pool and there are no crowds.Hope this is more helpful.

Old May 21st, 2002, 06:40 AM
Kimberly

Thanks Henry, my hubby & I are going (alone!!) to Marco for our 18th anniversary in November.
We chose Marco & the Hilton just because we thought it looked like an ideal spot for some peace & quiet, sunshine, & sandy beach. Just going for 3 nights, but really looking forward to some alone time. I enjoyed reading your report.

Old May 21st, 2002, 07:15 AM
Patrick

I am somewhat amused when people say that Marco Island has become "overdeveloped". Marco Island did not exist 50 years ago -- it was uninhabitable swamp. A huge company came in and developed the entire island, creating canals to fill the other land and marking off thousands of lots. Before anyone really moved there, it was fully "developed". Of course it has taken many years for all those building sites to be put to use -- and yes it now is getting more crowded. But the development plan is exactly what it has always been, with very few alterations to the plan. It was never some beautiful tropical paradise where developers have gradually bulldozed down nature to put up buildings.
This is almost like someone moving into a huge new apartment building as one of the first tenants and then a year later when the building is full saying, "I'm moving out -- this building is too busy!"

Old May 21st, 2002, 07:50 AM
Henry

Patrick,I agree with many of your comments.If Marco is crowded its because so many people enjoy it.Some people prefer Marco to "less developed" resorts because of the greater selection of restaurants,shops etc.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 07:13 AM
Dave E.

Hello all, my family is looking for a place to spend my parent's 50th anniv. in Nov. 2002...we're interested in large cottage lodging vs. hotel, warm, with spa and activities. any suggestions?? thanks

Old May 22nd, 2002, 05:58 PM
Patti

Where did you stay and have you ever heard of the condos called "Apollo or "Somerset" on Marco?

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:30 AM
Henry

Patti:We stayed at the Somerset.We rented through Harborview Rentals.We had a beautiful unit,2bdr/2bath.We had stayed in this unit before and would return.Over the years we have tried other condos all were very nice.I think the key is to ask the rental agent how old is the building and has it been renovated.Somerset like most of the big condos is on the beach has a pool and tennis courts.Enjoy.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 03:12 PM
suzie

Henry, While you were there did you visit Naples? Did you happen to see the La Playa Beach Resort?

Old May 24th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Henry

Suzie:We have been to Naples acouple of times although I am not familiar with LaPlaya.Naples is very nice.A bigger town than Marco.I would say it is more upscale or expensive.It has more nightlife than Marco.Both towns have great beaches.They are only 20 minutes apart so you can stay in one ,visit the other to see which you prefer.Enjoy.