Amelia Island, Vero Beach or Sanibel?

Jan 26th, 2004, 05:54 AM
bosco

Amelia Island, Vero Beach or Sanibel?

My and I are looking for a nice, relatively quiet vacation in Florida with nice beaches. Which has the nicest beaches with surf - Amelia Island, Vero Beach, or Sanibel Island and how are these places different? Not looking for a big partying place or a place overun by kids. Also, where the best places to stay?

Jan 26th, 2004, 06:05 AM

Amelia Island has a great walking beach but there are frequent shark warnings to stay out of the water. Golfing is fantastic. We stayed at Amelia Island Plantation and were very pleased.

Sanibel Island has a great shelling beach. We stayed in no-name condos and it was a great relaxing time.

Haven't been to Vero Beach.
Jan 26th, 2004, 06:27 AM

Have you considered Naples? It is very nice and has super-soft beaches.
Jan 26th, 2004, 06:27 AM

South Seas Plantation on Amelia Island is a world class resort. It is a beautiful property with a cool restaurant called the Bubble Room nearby.Vero Beach is boring.You are right next to Sanibel and the only thing to do there is go shelling.
Jan 26th, 2004, 06:33 AM

The Atlantic with its steep continental dropoff has stronger surf than the Gulf coast which is relatively shallow (there is actually a shallows area many miles off-shore). Haven't been to either Amelia or Vero in years so can't help any more than that.
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:05 AM

Just a correction to citiboy- South Seas Plantation is on Captiva, not Amelia Island. Stayed there for my honeymoon, and honestly wasn't that impressed with the condo we stayed in. Perhaps now, 14 years later, they have been renovated?
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:21 AM

Just sold our condo in Vero. It is a quiet town, with no highrise rentals to speak of. That's the kind of boredom we (and the Los Angeles Dodgers in spring training) prefer. I think the beach is nicer than Amelia, though not world class. It's certainly warmer than Amelia. Amelia (stayed at the Plantation and the Ritz Carlton) and Sanibel (never been) have nicer resorts. Can't think of a "resort" in Vero proper. Real people (with some assets) live there year-round.
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:10 PM

Sorry about the mistake-Amelia is boring-I suggest you go to Captiva next to Sanibel. Get a house at South Seas Plantation.