Marching Band Teens in NYC - Food Suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a group of about 200 teenagers plus chaperones coming to NYC for the Thanksgiving Day Parade from Florida. We have a pretty tight schedule except for lunch on Friday and Saturday when we'll be splitting into smaller groups.

On Friday, we'll be near Rockefeller Center. On Saturday, we'll be at South Street Seaport. I'm looking for ideas for relatively inexpensive lunch places nearby, including good New York style pizza by the slice.

Any suggestions are really appreciated!
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 12:25 PM

I'm sure you'll get losts of suggestions, but to start you off for your Rock Center day, how about John's pizza on 44th St? Easy walk from where you will be. Call now and make a reservation, (they take them only for large parties so you should be ok) I have been there when groups have taken over the balcony seating and it really works well for them - everyone can sit in the same area, share a few pies and pitchers of soda and it it not expensive. You can look at the menu on line to get an idea of pricing.

260 West 44th Street (between 7th & 8th Avenues off Times Square ) 212-391-7560.

www.johnspizzerianyc.com
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 12:27 PM

You'll find food options all over the seaport not just at their food court and the basement of Rock Center has many places as well. Let the kids eat what looks good to them.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 01:49 PM

There is really nothing at South Street except a food court.

Try Tontonno's on 2nd Ave and about 27th Street. It is whole pie, not slices, but if you call they could accomodate some of your group.

Try Joe's Shanghai in Chinaown and ask for the upstairs.

Carmine's is good for a group of teens but call. Family style Italian.

Katz's on Friday night might good. It is large and busier at lunch. It is also cavernous.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 02:25 PM

Carmine's and John's Pizzeria would both be good. I don't think John's sells by the slice, but they could share pies. Carmine's has huge portions, and they would probably get a kick out of it. Both are in the Times Square/Broadway area.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 03:46 PM

You and everyone else will be "near Rockefeller Center" on Friday. Every place around there will be mobbed. I would definitely find some places you can make a reservation otherwise you'll have chaos. In addition to the places you've already gotten, there's Angelo's pizza (where Letterman is taped) on Broadway & 53 st. http://www.angelospizzany.com/locations.htm On 55th st. Menchanko is a very good noodle place http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/menchanko-tei-2/ and there's a very popular halal cart on 6th ave. & 53 st.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 04:02 PM

You won't find anywhere to take a group that large, restaurants in the city just aren't that big, so break up the group into smaller groups with a chaperone leading the way. Your group is one of hundreds in the city next week and all trying to do the same thing find a good place to eat.

A good spot for lots of restaurants that won't be quite so mobbed will be along 9th Ave, and there are dozens of restaurants off all kinds.

Also you might want to try ordering subs from say Subway or Blimbie's in advance and take them to the park for lunch.

The South St Seaport is a good idea, and the food court there will give you some flexibility, turn them loose and "we'll meet back here at _________. Also how are you getting around the city? Bus or subway? Bus would be easier, but a mess in all the city traffic next week, so plan on it taking twice as long as you might think to get somewhere.

I'll be in the city next week so if I can be of help, I'd be happy to give you my phone number for more specific help.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 04:44 PM

Carmine
s is reasonable only when several people share portions (and they're huge enough to do so - except perhaps for teenage boys, many of whom seem to be able to eat as much as 3 adults). So if you do Carmine's be sure to share dishes among several people.

Also, be aware that if more than 6 of you head into a place at one time you will probably need reservations.

Whatever you do not head for any of the chain places in Times Square - the food is the same awful micro-nuked stuff at the local mall but the prices are way higher.

I wold go to menupages.com now and do some research - you can see the actual menus with prices - by types of food and neighborhood.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great responses. Yes, we do know it will be crazy there being Black Friday weekend but as they're performing in the parade, that's the reason for our trip. (Still wondering what I was thinking when I volunteered to chaperone!?!?!)

This trip has been planned for months so we have a travel company that has us scheduled from early morning to late each evening, including almost all meals. (The only thing they didn't seem to schedule much of is SLEEP!) Those two lunches are our only free time and we'll be breaking into groups of about 8-10 people. Besides that, we have dinner reservations already and tours scheduled and our busses will take us every where we need to be.

All the information you've provided is so helpful and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much!
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 05:13 AM

The best way for a group of hungry teens to eat at Carmine's (and it's a good choice for that, in my book) is to simply tell the server how many people, what the budget is for the whole group, and tell them to do it. A few plates of their least expensive dishes will more than fill the group up with pretty decent food, and the restaurant is used to doing just that. Trying to look at a menu and decide who's having what and how much to order is too confusing.

I haven't been to South Street Seaport for about a year, but I'm shocked if the dozen or so big restaurants (I think of them as kind of sports bar/TGIFriday's like) are all gone. There were a ton of them, both right on the pier and on the adjoining streets. But frankly a food court is a good idea for this group.

But I'm still aghast at that number of 200 people. I can't imagine that many walking into anywhere without complete disaster!
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 05:18 AM

We split an order of spaghetti and meatballs at Carmine's, and we both ate until we were stuffed and then had some to bring back and put in the hotel frig. We ordered garlic bread, and nine huge slabs of bread came out; we actually shared with the table next to us because there was so much food. Heed the advice to share dishes if you go there. We liked it, and the location is pretty convenient.
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 05:28 AM

Just so you're aware - a portion of spaghetti and meat balls at Carmine's is $25.50 - when you add two soft drinks, tax and tip the total for 2 kids would be about $38 - so $19 each for lunch. Agree that this is a lot of food (again, unless you are one of those bottomless teen boys) but not sure if you had planned on $20 lunches. If you have and they stick to pasta rather than a meat dish - they can eat for this.

There are a lot of smaller ethnic places where you can get lunch specials for $10 to $12 each (Chinese, Indian, thai etc) but they are small and getting in more than 2 or 3 tables of 4 will be a problem.
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 05:54 AM

The crowds have arrived at both places - good luck!
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 06:23 AM

While in "normal" times, Carmine's would be a good suggestion, I don't think Thanksgiving weekend is the best time to plan a group dinner there. NYC is a zoo that weekend, and the Times Square area, especially, will be mobbed. I'd consider places away from that area, like maybe the Carmine's uptown.
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 06:55 AM

A couple of more places for groups of 20 teens or so.

Hallo Berlin on 10th and 44th

Congee Village and they do not have to have Congee

The Penny Farthing 3rd Ave and 13th Street
http://www.thepennyfarthingnyc.com
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 10:35 AM

Just a little background on the "lay of the land" lunch-wise in those two areas, from my experience:

Rockefeller Center
In addition to being a tourist magnet, this is the heart of the midtown working world. In other words, streets are crowded even when it's not Thanksgiving, and there basically are as many lunch options as there are people! Your lunch could be anything from a gyro off a street cart (very common lunch for office workers, and some of the best-rated in the city are in this area), to a quickie pre-made sandwich or make-your-own salad at chains like Pret A Manger or Cafe Europa, to a sit-down meal like others have suggested.
* For carts, try 6th Ave between 45th & 50th Streets.
* IMO, no memorable pizza by the slice around here; better off with a pie as others have suggested.
* There are lots of casual options on 46th between 5th and 6th, 56th between 5th and 6th, and in the lower level "mall" at Rock Center.
* You might also want to look at one of the Burger Heaven venues in the area. Fast service, decent burgers, and can seat larger parties (approx 10 ppl) without much wait.
* Going west to Hell's Kitchen (9th Ave) is an excellent suggestion for casual/less expensive eats. In addition to Hallo Berlin's yummy German food, there is a plethora of casual Thai places -- many "Yum Yum" and "Wondee" locations, all of which are good. If you don't have too large a group with you (maybe 6 max), check out Island Burgers and Shakes! Vynl Diner is also good (and not just diner food).

South Street Seaport
The food court within the red seaport building itself has seen better days (much like most of the shops that also reside there). However as previously mentioned, there are large, TGI Fridays type places in the cobblestone area just to the west. The Financial District stretches south and west of the Seaport, so again there are a number of places that cater to office workers in the area. However, they are not as plentiful nor as obvious as in midtown...
* There are a number of good sit-down lunch spots on Stone Street, including a (whole) pizza place and a quite good Swedish(!) restaurant.
* You're most likely to find decent street carts along William Street and Wall Street. Also on Wall Street, there is a public atrium with seats across from Cipriani, if you're looking for a place to rest your feet!

Do use menupages.com to look up recommended restaurants. It's an invaluable resource!
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 01:13 PM

Come to think of it I have a perfect suggestion for the area around Rock Center, and you can probably seat at least 50 of the kids, The Primeburger, it's on 51st between 5th and Madison, and GREAT burgers. The place looks right out of the 60's and by NY standards the place is cheap. There are booths, a counter and a back room so you should be able to get alot of kids in there. Let me know if that might work.
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 01:20 PM

do you have an in with this place?
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 04:21 PM

JAKCruiser How did it go with the kids in NYC over Thanksgiving?