Manhattan-the Hamptons-Boston/New England

Jun 15th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

I am in Manhattan, and would like a direct route to the Hamptions (specifically East Hampton). From there, I would like to leave New York state without backtracking through New York City. Where are the ferry terminals on the eastern tip of Long Island (Monatuk?) that head directly to New England from there (i.e. to Providence, Pronvincetown, Boston, Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, Nantuckut, or other attactive places in the immediate area)? Thx

Jun 15th, 2007, 10:04 AM

This is fodors not mapquest. I would check that site.

Generally, though, take the LIE out to Rte. 111 South to 27 East. That'll get you to the Hamptons.

You can grab a ferry from Port Jefferson on the north shore to Connecticut to get up to New England.
Jun 15th, 2007, 11:05 AM

you should take the ferry from Orient Point to New London, not the Bridgeport-Port Jeff. It will take you about 90 minutes, more or less, to drive around Peconic Bay from Easthampton to Orient. You must have reservations to take a car on the Orient point ferry Google "Cross Sound Ferry" to get the website with fares, schedule and online-reservations. You must arrive 30 minutes in advance of the scheduled ferry departure and the crossing takes about 90 minutes. Its a nice ride though.
Jun 15th, 2007, 11:18 AM

If you dont want to drive around Peconic you can take the ferry from the South Fork to Shelter Island and then another ferry from Shelter Island to the North Fork and then a third ferry over to New London. Sounds complicated but its very easy to do as there are very good signs to follow from one ferry to the next as well as lots of cars to follow if you are doing this in the summer. Saves time but it will cost about $8 for each small ferry. The Cross Island ferry is about $75 rountrip.
Once you get off the ferry in New London, just hope on 95 North and heard for Providence or Newport.
Jun 15th, 2007, 12:18 PM

Are you driving? Assuming you are, Jared's instructions are the basic way to go... the LIE (Long Island expressway) to exit 70. At exit 70 make a right turn onto rite 111 and follow it to the end where you'll make a left turn onto route 27, the main road aka Montauk Highway. Follow it to East Hampton.

You've been given all the ferry options. Here's a page with links on info.
http://www.webscope.com/li/ferries.html

and another
http://www.easthampton.com/other/ferrys2.html

If by some chance you're not driving, there's the hamptonjitney.com to get to East Hampton and there are some fast ferries options from Montauk that don't allow cars that go to Martha's Vineyard.
Jun 15th, 2007, 07:59 PM

I believe the Long Island RR has trains to Montauk and intermediate stops. Which would include The Hamptons. Ya better drive. That way you can get up to Orient pt. to the Ferry.
Jun 16th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

I am not driving, and Martha vineyard ferries from Montauk are seasonal. They aren't running now. IN fact, Montauk only has ferries on Fri/Sun. Google their Viking express ferry site.
Jun 20th, 2007, 07:02 AM

okay, well if you can get to Orient to take the ferry to New London , you can easily walk down the street from the ferry station in New London to the Amtrak station to get to Boston pr Providence.

Alternatively, from New London you could hop another ferry and go to Block Island which would be very attractive, and would be much easier to get to without a car than Martha's Vineyard.

Getting to Orient will certainly involve a bus or taxi from somewhere. I'm not really certain how you would do that from the Hamptons.
Jun 20th, 2007, 09:39 AM

No need to reply - it looks like sandy456 found a way to Boston:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35019199