Search

Mane, Sept 2023

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2023, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mane, Sept 2023

We will be in Oxford, ME for 2 nights and would like to spend another 4-5 nights in ME east or south of there. (We have been to Acadia and Bar Harbor twice). Any thoughts for a good base?
Old Jun 21st, 2023, 01:48 PM

You can easily visit Boothbay Harbor en route perhaps to Portland as possibilities or drive further south to Kennebunkport or Ogunquit. Where to stay really depends on what you are interested in seeing and doing.
Old Jun 23rd, 2023, 12:36 AM

Myhusband and I like exploring the mid coast area in search of the nest lobster rolls. If the Maritime Museum in Bath has a lighthouse cruise scheduled, I recommemd going. The Harpswell area east of bath/Brunswick has conservation areas for hiking etc. you can dowload their guide.

Friends and I have done long weekends in southern Maine staying in Wells. The Ogunquit playhouse offers live theater. Stonewall Kitchen in York does cooking demos where you are served a full meal. You can go up to Freeport for outlet shopping. Visit Fort Williams park for wonderful view of Casco Bay a d a lonster roll from Bite Into MEfood truck. The boat tour of Casco Bay is interesting. Not a lot of narration since it's a working boat delivering people and goods to the islands but enough. A friend loves Peaks Island but we haven,t gotten off to explore.

If you are a vegetable gardener amd it,s late September you might attend the Common Ground Fair. Middle of nowhere so traffic to get there. Spend the day lostening to lectures and demos, craft fair, food vendors, etc. all organic. We stayed near Camden for that.

if your interest is wineries or breweries you can visit for tastings. I think there's a cheese trail, too.
Old Jun 23rd, 2023, 02:45 AM
J62

Originally Posted by dfrostnh
My husband and I like exploring the mid coast area in search of the best lobster rolls.
After years of diligent searching I've come to this conclusion about lobster rolls....

Best, to me means:
  • The right amount of lobster meat, cut into bite sized pieces. Chunks too large and they're hard to eat. Chunks too small and you lose the texture. Quarter pound to 1/3 pound of lobster per roll is perfect. I don't like 'em overstuffed..or skimpy.
  • The dressing - mayo, or butter, and how much. My preference is light on the mayo, no on the butter, and yes to lemon juice.
  • The add-ins. Celery, for crunch. Maybe onion, but not too much. And fresh herbs. Dill an obvioius choice, but even parsley or cilantro or basil....
  • The wait: zero to no wait.... thus I avoid Reds or any other place with a line, especially in the sun..
  • The table. preferably water view, but not necessary. Shade is a big plus. Road traffic nearby is a minus. Flies are a big minus..
  • The drinks. Hands down, lemonade., although a cerveza with lime will do too....
  • The sides... maybe chips, but a 2nd lobster roll is better....
  • The buns. basic frank buns - the kind that are baked side by side together so you have soft sides.
  • Chilled or room temp... Personally I like the texture of lobster meat when it's slightly chilled...but room temp is also ok.

Having sampled all over the mid coast, my conclusion is that there is very little differentiation from place to place when it comes to taste or quality. Anyone can make a good lobster roll if they have the right amount, cut, and mix of meats, not too heavy on the dressing, fresh buns, good crunch. Having it on a plate in front of me when I'm hungry is the biggest factor.......Sooooo, I now make my own....

I can buy a tub of lobster meat from any lobster pound for about $40/lb (last season prices) and whip up a batch to my own taste for a fraction of the cost of eating at a shack....I have a mental map of lobster pounds & other markets all around the area where I can stop. The bonus is I can pick up oysters or mussels or fresh seafood for dinner...

A lot of work? Actually not if you have a kitchen or come prepared with a mini kitchen-in-a-cooler if you're on the road... Lobster rolls whip up just as fast as tuna salad.... call BYO lobster roll picnic if you will but requires forethought.

Seems as though every batch I make there is always some leftover in the tub that makes for a perfect late night snack right out of the fridge.... no bun required...

Last edited by J62; Jun 23rd, 2023 at 02:47 AM.
Old Jun 24th, 2023, 12:49 AM

J62, you didn't memtion difference between hard shell and soft shell. Right now supermarket has hard shell. The supermarket will also steam the lobsters for free so frugal me puts some effort into picking out the meat. But I think supermarket lobsters have been starving and the meat doesn't seem as sweet as from a good lobster shack in Maine. We have only eaten at Red's once when one year we happened by when the line was very short. Usually there isn't a line at our favorite shack where the rolls are only lightly swiped with mayo and you can order a roll with butter on the side so you dip the pieces threatening to fall off the over filled roll. There is a tent for shade but it has never seemed too hot to be at a sunny table. The water is only yards away. The view is perfect.
absolutely no to celery and I detest shredded iceberg lettuce.
The best side is a piece of strawberry rhubarb pie or blueberry.
I might consider fresh dillwee. A friend likes tarragon. But, my husband would say no to both.

And when we've had too much lobster the next meal is fried clams.
Old Jun 24th, 2023, 01:47 AM
J62

When I've had too much lobster the next meal is oysters....Shucking knife is in that same kitchen-sink-in-a-cooler.....
With lemon, mingonette or horseraddish straight up.
Old Jun 25th, 2023, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by J62
When I've had too much lobster the next meal is oysters....Shucking knife is in that same kitchen-sink-in-a-cooler.....
With lemon, mingonette or horseraddish straight up.
unfortunately we don't care for oysters so haven't taken the boat ride out of Damariscotta but like the area.
Old Jun 25th, 2023, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of this helpful, sage advice!! We love oysters and lobster