Mandarin Oriental Hotel in New York City

Oct 4th, 2005, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Mandarin Oriental Hotel in New York City

My husband and I will be staying at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in New York City for 4 nights next month. - Does anyone know anything about this hotel - positive or negative? Also, need great restaurant suggestions for Italian, Seafood and Steak. Price does not matter - thanks!
Oct 4th, 2005, 04:47 AM

Babbo (Italian, if you can get a reservation), Le Bernardin (seafood) and Sparks (steak). Those have to be the best of each...

Oct 4th, 2005, 05:53 AM

I don't do steakhouses, but the other two recs are dead on.

Do you mind saying how much you will be paying for your room, and if you have a view room?
Oct 4th, 2005, 06:42 AM

Have done two meetings at the hotel with VERY high maintainance guests and they all loved it - but we all had park view deluxe rooms or suites. Don;t know about the basic rooms - but assume they are the same quality.

The entire place is beautiful - but very modern (I assume you know that) vs traditional. Service is impeccable and the concierge helped keep our speakers happy (no easy task) by fulfilling some very specific requests (one guest would use only Mercedes limos).

Those restaurant suggestions are great for Italian and seafood. If you want to do the touristy thing you might consider Sea Grill at Rock Center - food is not as good - but still very nice - and it's lovely and has a real NYC feel/location.
Oct 4th, 2005, 08:50 AM

You're also close to Picholine, a really fine "formal" restaurant.

Le Bernardin is simply the best I've had in New York -- I'd consider it a don't miss fine dining experience.
Oct 4th, 2005, 08:59 AM
GoTravel

I think staying at the MO you get first dibs on reservations at Per Se through the concierge. If this is in fact true and not Urban Legend, eat at Per Se.

Oct 4th, 2005, 09:03 AM

www.tripadvisor.com - hotel

rest.: Per Se
Babbo
Picholine
Oct 4th, 2005, 09:21 AM

We just ate at Babbo last weekend. It was good. The service was great. Make sure you make a reservation.
Oct 4th, 2005, 09:24 AM

Ben Benson on W. 52nd St. for steak - great!
Oct 4th, 2005, 10:48 AM

My husband and I stayed in the Mandarin Oriental in late April and we thought that it was beautiful. I would do anything to have that shower in my house.