Manchester Vermont. Heroin problems?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2014, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure this is the place to ask, but there was an article in the New York Times recently that said Vermont is going through a heroin epidemic these days, which I found shocking. I think of Vermont as beautiful rural LL Bean country. My family, with 2 little ones, was planning to spend a week renting a house in Manchester this summer. Are there drug related crime issues there? Is this problem something visitors need to be concerned about (for themselves I mean; of course I am concerned for the people in VT who have drug addiction issues).

Thanks.
Old Mar 24th, 2014, 06:22 AM

True, heroin use has gone up in Northern New England, and crimes like convienience store hold ups have become more common. However rural Vermont is still 'LL Bean country'. Although I'm not too familiar with Manchester in particular, (I live in NH just across the river from Vermont), 90% of the small towns up here are the same as ever. There are probably a few blocks in downtown Rutland and Burlington that might be a little sketchy at night, but small town New England is not being ravaged by heroin addicts - we still have the lowest crime rates in the country. Just fyi, Vermont has always had higher than average pot and alcohol useage.
Old Mar 24th, 2014, 07:02 AM

From everything I've read, I don't think Vermont is necessarily unique in experiencing a recent uptick in heroin use and trafficking. As prescription drugs become harder and harder to abuse, it would seem that heroin is increasingly becoming the drug of choice. Lots of communities all over the United States are experiencing this. And if heroin isn't the problem, you can arguably bet that some other drug is.

While I don't want to downplay the very real effect heroin use is having in such communities, I would venture a guess that the average tourist will not notice or be affected by the problem, assuming that they take reasonable safety precautions. Don't leave valuables in your car, be mindful of your surroundings, drive with your doors locked and lock them when you park, make use of a hotel safe, be mindful of how you carry your purse, wallet and belongings, use a money belt or similar device, don't leave valuables laying out in your hotel or rental, etc., etc.

It seems to me that you should take reasonable safety precautions no matter where you travel, and regardless of any perception that a given place is "ideallic" or "safe."
Old Mar 24th, 2014, 07:40 AM

> Are there drug related crime issues there?

Depends on what you mean by "issues." Sadly, criminals pay no attention to ZIP codes, clocks, or calendars. No matter where you are, no matter what time of day, no matter what time of year; one should always use the same precautions against them. It's what I do whether I'm walking through downtown Philadelphia late at night, or visiting the area around Manchester VT.

I'd like to think there's a place on this planet where criminals are so rare that you can be careless with your valuables. Problem is, once people think they are in such a place, crooks immediately start going there. It's a simple matter of economics -- "business people" locate in a place they think has a good "business" climate. So just be careful no matter where you are.

And have a great time in Vermont -- I'd love to spend another week there!
Old Mar 24th, 2014, 08:02 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
You'll be fine in Manchester. Recent articles highlighted heroin problems in Rutland and Barre.
Old Mar 24th, 2014, 04:00 PM

Rutland and Barre have lots of unemployment.

Across the country, places ( states, cities, neighborhoods, blocks) where there is a lot of unemployment characteristically have lots of drug use. Manchester gives the appearance of being thriving.
Old Mar 25th, 2014, 02:27 AM

I live in NH so only visit VT occasionally. We've never worried about the crime rate. We like to put the garden sprinkler out for the little kids to play with so I would check to see if that is allowed and if there are any problems or restrictions with the well (assuming the house has a well and is not on a city water supply). We also think screened porches are essential.

But yes, lock your car and lock your doors at night.
Old Mar 25th, 2014, 05:54 AM

While it's tempting to romanticize certain locations, as Paul said, "criminals pay no attention to zip codes. I doubt that you'd notice any serious drug issues in Vermont, especially in Manchester, which is pretty white-collar. Even in Rutland or Bennington you'd be quite safe except in certain seedy sections late at night Just use your head about protecting your valuables, the same as you would at home.
Old Mar 25th, 2014, 03:42 PM

My sister lives in Arlington and when I visit her it is 9 miles to Manchester. We go often and have never had any problems.
Old Apr 30th, 2014, 02:42 PM

We live here and you would never know we have a Heroin problem. It's very hidden. Definitely absolutely no concern for tourists, very safe here! Safer than any place I've lived and I've moved 17 times, including worldwide. We never lock our cars and most other locals don't either. We have awesome schools, a great community, lots of educational events all the time, an AMAZING bookstore with an entire floor for kids, great outlet shopping and fine dining.
Old May 9th, 2014, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks globalmom, and everyone. We just booked it today!