Search

Man United in San Diego

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man United in San Diego

Hello everyone

We are coming from the UK in May for a holiday, there are 7 of us coming. My brother is one of the 7 and he is a mad Man United fan. Man United are playing on Saturday 21st May at 3.pm UK time so it will be 7.am San Deigo time, Is there anywhere he can watch this match?

Help if I don't find him somewhere i will be in trouble.

Thanks in advance

Suzy

Old Apr 19th, 2005, 09:30 AM

San Diego has large UK expat population and many English themed pubs. I am sure at least one of those will be open and airing the match. Sorry I can not mention one by name but I know there are many. Here is one I am familiar with and found to be quite nice. You might check with them.
http://entertainment.signonsandiego.com/profile/185845

Also the Holiday Inn right on the waterfront has an English Pub on premises that might do a showing. Check it out as well.

Search Google for English Pubs in San Diego should be lots.

Enjoy and Go Man U!
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 09:37 AM

One other thought, get a hotel that carries Fox Sports World (not plain Fox Sports), that channel is almost all football (soccer) and carries many live English Premier League matches.

According to their schedules they will be showing it tape delay at 3pm Eastern Time so that would be noon in San Diego-see the schedule here
http://www2.foxsports.com/world/pdf/fsw17.pdf
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 09:44 AM

Send an e-mail to Shakespeare Pub and Grill (www.shakespearepub.com) to see if you can view it live. They open at 7:00am on Saturdays.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 10:31 AM

My OH is a Man U fan and most of the games are shown over here...some live and others later in the day. Best channel as mentioned before is Fox Sports Channel. Good luck!
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 12:00 PM

BIG GAME!

The FA Cup final - I hope MU will show up for this one. This is the ONLY trophy they can win this season and besides, it is against the so much hated Arsenal!

Go ManU!
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 04:57 AM

Sorry I was wrong Fox Sports WILL NOT be showing this match after all. I misread the schedule. Your best bet is to find a pub that will show it live. Good luck.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 05:47 AM

there is a pub in little italy section of town on India street near Cedar. It is called something like "Princess of Wales". Everytime I pass them I hear soccer going on so they may have the game.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 07:12 AM
lvk

Fox Sports World is now actually called Fox Soccer Channel. They have been showing many of the UA cup games live. They show regular EPL games either live or tape delay.

A note about Pubs showing games by satellite feed (not FSC). We have heard from many bar owners here that it is very expensive (in the thousands of $$)) to show these games, and since they can't really break even, it is not generally worth their while to show them.

If the game is being broadcast over the internet, you might be able to watch it from your hotel room (many have free wi-fi access) if you bring your laptop. We did this a few months ago when we were traveling--although it was Bundesliga, not EPL. If you don't have a laptop, or your hotel doesn't provide internet access, you might look for an internet cafe.

You have a lot of legwork ahead of you, but that's what google is for, right? I can relate, since we were out of town for the last World Cup Finals . I called around and found a bar in downtown Minneapolis that opened at 5:30 am to show the game. We won't discuss the results .

Have a great trip and good luck!
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 07:27 AM
lvk

Just found this website:

http://www.soccertv.com/pubs.cfm

It lists the two pubs mentioned above (Shakespeare and Princess) as two soccer-friendly bars. Looks like you're in luck!
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 09:05 AM

and there are some more San Diego soccer bars at http://www.soccerbars.com