malasadas in waikiki

Search

malasadas in waikiki

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
malasadas in waikiki

How do the malasadas at St. Germain bakery compare to the ones at Leonards? Assuming St. Germain has them.

The St. Germain bakery on Kuhio is a lot closer to the hotel my family and I will be staying at in August (Princess Kaiulani) than Leonard's, but OTOH, Leonard's is only a mile and a half away. FWIW, I/we would be walking to get them. Maybe the walk would make up for their calorie count.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 08:09 AM

I don't know anything about St. Germain bakery, but why take and chance and waste the calories on a possibly inferior malasada? Leonard's is the best! I stayed at the Shearton Waikiki in June and, I'm almost ashamed to admit, walked to Leonard's just about every day to have a couple of malasadas. They had mango cream malasadas as a special in May and June, and will have a different special when you're there. And yes, I justified the gluttony by thinking I'd burned off at least part of the calories in the walk. It's not a bad walk, and you can pick up anything else you need at the new Safeway on the way.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 09:03 AM

St. Germain's does not sell malasadas. It does carry all sorts of other great things which I highly recommend you try - but not malasadas.

Leonard's in Kapahulu would be the closest.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Great. Thanks.

if anyone else has advice or knows of more places, don't hesitate to chime in.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 09:52 AM

I think Leonard's is the closest to Waikiki that you're going to get.

Some other bakeries have pretty good malasadas, like Champion bakery - but that's on Beretania St., so it's even further away. Liliha Bakery is a local favorite, but there are known more for the cocopuffs.

If you travel outside Waikiki, there are several other Leonard's locations. There is one in Pearl City, on Kamehameha Highway (Waimalu Shopping Center). Also, Leonards has little portable wagons that sell malasadas at some shopping centers. I've seen them at Waikele and Windward Mall. But, for Waikiki, I think the Leonard's on Kapahulu is your best bet for malasadas.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 10:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St Germaine is a fantastic bakery for other things though. Do keep it on your list. Both savory and sweet pastry varieties. We picked up breakfast there most mornings.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Excellent.

We could enjoy things from both places!

Thanks so much!

Old Jul 10th, 2008, 02:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There's also a Food Pantry grocery store other side of Kuhio near St Germaine. There you can get fresh fruit (already cut up), yogurt, etc. to go with your pastries and make a nice breakfast reasonably priced.