Reload this Page >

Major Maui Disappointment - Please help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 04:04 PM
michelle

My husband and I were planning on going to Maui from 9-17-01 to 9-26-01. We decided on those dates to avoid the summer rush of families and children and because that time works with our busy schedules. We can't go in October due to prior plans. The only weeks in September that would work for us would be the the 16th or 23rd, both of which we found out, border the Maui Marathon per their website.
We had decided a while ago on the Grand Wailea. We called to book with the travel agent, but it seems that all of the ocean view rooms are booked and we don't want a garden Do you think that the Maui Marathon has made things crowded that week? Will it affect traffic, and activites?
Do you think we should try for the Maui Hyatt Regency for that week or do you think that we should just try for August at the Grand Wailea? If you recommend August, do you think the resorts would still be kid infested at that time on the week of Aug 26th.
The travel agent said that the Four Seasons has ocean views at $7300 for a ocean view room, airfare from the East coast for 2 and a convertible for the original week in September. Does that seem real high to anyone else?
Our dilemma is whether to go in September when the marathon people will be there in droves or to go in the August when there could be lots of children around. Which do you all think would be less crowded?

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 04:18 PM
Buyer

Dear Michelle,
For $7300.00 you sure as heck BETTER get an ocean view honestly, my husband and I can do Europe for 3 weeks for under $5000.00 including airfare, trains, cars, hotels, meals and shopping..

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 04:20 PM
Mary

The only time I stayed at the Grand W. Hotel was in August, a few years ago, two of my children went with us (both young teenagers). It was NOT like Kaanapali where the kids hang since it's one of the most pricey hotels on the island. I'm planning again for August this yr, no kids with us and won't pass up an ocean view (but I had a VERY NICE garden view last time) as I love this resort with it's spa and fitness center. If you are very picky, this is the right hotel. If I needed to save money and wanted to take kids I'd reserve a condo. It's pricey. . . .

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 04:26 PM
Mary

Sorry, I needed to add that I went on the G.W. web site and there are better prices direct (I was quoted $3000 w/car for 8 days). Cheaptickets or another discounted airlines had $500 from LAX - Maui through Oahu, but I'm going on airmiles which is the best deal (Couch class). Good luck with your decision!

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 05:03 PM
Jay

According to your note you were planning 9/17-9/26, right? 9 nights?
The Four Season website says rates for those nights including car and ocean view (best) room are $4300. So unless your airfares are $3000 it doesn't sound like things are adding up right.

If you literally meant a week (7 nights) this package would be $3745 and that means your airfare is almost $4000.
What's going on here? Something missing?

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 06:24 PM
Judy

Michelle - I suggest that you ditch your travel agent and call the hotels directly.

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 06:38 PM
Lani

Either month that you go will be hot & busy, because of children in August and marathoners in September. I've never found the Wailea area to be as crowded at any time as Kaanapali, and that would not concern me (the kids & runners.) If I went to Maui at that time, I'd stay at Kapalua or Napili Bay, simply because it will be cooler and breezier up there that time of year. But it's Hawaii - whereever and whenever you go, you won't be disappointed! Oh, yes, those prices sound awfully high to me. Airfare in a package should not be more than $1000 pp even from the East Coast that time of year (probably quite a bit less, especially in Sept.) I think you'd do better on your own, or at least I'd get info from several travel agents and compare!

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 08:32 PM
kim

Aloha Michelle:

The Grand Wailea in August is one of the worst times to stay at this wonderful property. Historically they always sell out in August, are inundated with children, and operationally strained. I live in Maui and work in the industry and have been on-property many times during this period. My recommendation would be to book directly with the hotel, request that they waitlist you for an oceanview room, make friends with the front desk staff, and chances are probably pretty good that an oceanview category will become available between now and check-in. Good luck! Aloha

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 08:55 PM
cath

Michelle - I have lived here several years and find the Maui Marathon to have very little effect on the 'people' traffic, especially here in Wailea. Last year we drove up to Lahaina EARLY with no delay, went diving and then drove back to Maalaea Harbor about lunch time and I didn't even realize the marathon had occured on that very road until the people at the table next to us started talking about their great run that morning?!! I agree with Kim 100% in her assessment of the situation at GWR and her advice to you. They do take a lot of family bookings during the summer - because it's the school holidays and they have the best pools in the area. But they do have the Hibiscus pool reserved for adults only and they do ask their guests to adhere to that rule. BTW you should dump that travel agent, I think he/she may be charging you for her trip out here too....

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 10:51 PM
Melissa

Michelle, I couldn't help but pitch in my 2 cents.....the Maui Marathon used to be in March, so you could run and watch whales at the same time. It was changed to September because 1) it doesn't draw a significant amount of runners and 2) there was no reason to hold a marathon to draw more tourists during whale-watching season (Nov-May). So it's highly doubtful that the marathon has any effect on crowds on Maui.

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 12:11 AM
Jennifer

Aloha,

I live on Maui, but travel frequently to all of the islands for business. I do a considerable amount of business entertaining at resorts.

If your main draw to Maui is an empty-ish world-class resort and spa such as Grand Wailea where luxury and impeccable service are given even to kids, bag Kaanapali and consider staying at the Four Seasons Hualalai on the Kona side of the Big Island. It's the absolute best resort and spa in Hawaii. It's low-key, yet exquisite. Aloha isn't just spoken, it's misted into your perfectly fluffed pillows. You won't find crowds, and for the money you're willing to spend you'll have an incredible experience. Every room has an ocean view. Plus, there is as much or more to do for families on the Big Island.

Good luck, Jennifer

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 01:50 AM
lani

we stayed at the GW last august, and even our kids hated it! long lines (2o + minutes) for the water slides, millions of cranky kids, rushed service, the spa was overbooked, our rooms were not made up till dinner time one night...choose september! or go with Jennifers idea of the big island