Search

maine to new brunswick - border crossing

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2005, 10:03 AM
ltt
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maine to new brunswick - border crossing

driving up from bar harbor, maine into new brunswick. is calais the only border crossing or is there another one close by that is less busy? thanks.
Old May 12th, 2005, 03:07 AM

It's been a lot of years since we did that trip but I thought there were two border crossings in Calais and one was a lot less busy.
Old May 12th, 2005, 06:24 AM

We did the drive up from Bar Harbor in July a couple of years ago. There is only one border crossing at Calais. It was not a long wait. A detour to Campobello Island to see FDR's summer home would be worthwhile - good hiking in the area as well.
Old May 12th, 2005, 06:52 AM

Calais is the only crossing. We crossed there two summers ago. There was no line into Canada, but a huge one heading into the US.
Old May 12th, 2005, 07:45 AM

There's only one crossing at Calais, but there are other crossings further north between ME and NB. For example, if you're going from Bangor to Fredericton, then you may use the crossing at Vanceboro/St. Croix.

I came back that way one morning in late fall, and there's absolutely no traffic there. The downside is that the US Customs officer was so bored that he decides to do a thorough search of my car. During that 10 minute period, I did not see any other vehicle crossing either way. It's that deserted.
Old May 12th, 2005, 08:18 AM

That's funny RKKWAN - we reentered the US at Vanceboro/St. Croix from Fredericton as well. The place was also deserted when we were there. The customs officer asked us if we had made any purchases. We told him we had but it was mostly non-dutiable artwork (in our opinion). He responded that he didn't know how to calculate the duty anyway. He then asked me if we had any bombs in the trunk of our car (we told him no) and sent us on our way.