Maine vacation-end of US 1

May 26th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Maine vacation-end of US 1

My husband and I will be traveling to Camden for the first time in August. We have reservations to stay at the Beach Suites in Lincolnville for one week and will have 4 more days before we have to return home leaving out of Bangor. We thought of maybe driving to the beginning of us l since we have been to the end in Key West, and then maybe going to the first town in Canada near Fort Kent. How does this sound? Would it take to long to follow us l or should we pick it up close to the end. Are there things to see along the way and a nice place to stay. Can you take a rental car into Canada? Thanks for any help--Barb
May 27th, 2004, 06:36 AM

Going north on US 1 from Camden shouldn't be too bad. If you tried to go south on US 1 from Camden to Boston would likely take you longer than driving to Key West from Maine on I-95 (no, really).

It is quite a long drive to the border from Camden though. I can think of many better was to spend a day in Maine.

I have no idea about the rental car into Canada.
May 27th, 2004, 06:52 AM

I agree with peterboy, I can think of better ways to spend time in Maine. How about spending the 4 days in Acadia NP & Bar Harbor?
May 27th, 2004, 07:36 AM

About the rental car, just call the company to ask them. Some let you, some don't. I have rented a car in Detroit and driven it up to Toronto.
May 27th, 2004, 10:01 AM

Awesome,Some one wants to see the real Maine.The County is wicked good. The town accross the river from Fort Kent is a bit blah but if you are there you have to cross the bridge. Take Rt 11 back down toward Bangor.Watch out for Moose.