Search

Maine in the summer

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maine in the summer

We are considering taking a family vacation to Maine in either June or July.We have never been so we need advice..maybe Acadia. Where to fly into, stay and things to do. The kids will be almost 10 yrs (boy) and the baby will be 14 mos. Thanks.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 11:42 AM

Acadia is awesome! The hiking, biking, cold water swimming and relaxing are great. I would assume that you would fly into Boston and rent a car, or if you have a bit more money, perhaps fly into Bangor and rent a car from there. We camped at the reservation campground in the state park (Black..something...). It was very nice, quiet and had good facilities for tent camping. If camping is not an option there are some nice inns and motels that look kid-friendly in Bar Harbor. From there you can go into Acadia. There are bike rental companies that have child seats and child bikes for Riding around. It gets crowded in July, but if you go early in the am whatever you do you're fairly safe. There are a couple of great guide books on the area (Discover Acadia comes to mind). If you like the outdoors you'll love Acadia.

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 04:17 PM

My bit of advice is to come in July. June can be cold, foggy and buggy. You can fly into Portland and travel north, up through Camden and on to Acadia, or if you want a short trip to Acadia, fly into Bangor. There's really much to do, even with a 14 month old in tow. Acadia is beautiful and like eriberri said, lots of places to rent bikes with baby seats, and places you can book whale watching trips or trips to other islands, or just wander around Bar Harbor. There are many coastal towns that are interesting and fun to explore. There are many islands that are easy to get to via ferry. You will want to book early if you are planning to get out to some of the more popular islands or lakes. Have fun!
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 03:59 AM

I also vote for July esp if you want some beach time. And, speaking of beaches, there are very few sandy beaches in Maine. If you are visualizing getting some sun and letting the kids play in the sand and explore tidal pools, you might be better to choose a town like York which is in southern Maine. If you choose southern Maine, flying into Manchester NH would be your cheapest flight. Portsmouth NH has a wonderful childrens museum which would be a big help on a rainy day. If you like hiking and biking, Acadia would be great. York is a very popular family beach. There is probably a childrens museum in Portland but I'm not familiar with it. The Portland area is also not far from NH's White Mountains with places like Storyland in Glen to visit. With younger children, I might save Acadia for another time but it all depends on how you like to spend a vacation. My husband is happiest in a lakeside cottage with a couple of jigsaw puzzles.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 04:36 AM

As the other posters have suggested, the later in the summer you go, the better - nicer weather, less bugs, warmer water. Choose the Acadia area for fabulous natural beauty. Choose the York, Ogunquit, Kennebunk area if you want wide sandy beaches, mini golf, and some quaint but touristy towns. Just realize that the ocean temps in Maine, even in the summer are quite cool, especially around Acadia. Further south, you may actually find the water bearable for swimming.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your advice; especially regarding the beaches. After doing a little more research I think that going to the mid coast region, maybe Boothbay might be better for our family. Suggestions? Is there such a thing as a family B&B??
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 09:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ocean Gate Motor Inn is a nice place for a family near Boothbay. It has a playground, nice pool, canoes for use, and cottages available along with standard rooms. Not walking distance to anything else however, it is secluded.

I prefer June, much less crowded.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 05:44 PM

We stayed at the Cadillac Motor Inn (or Lodge?) We had a nice two bedrooms, kitchen, and bath for a very reasonable rate. Just 1/2 block from downtown.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 05:44 PM

In Bar Harbor