Search

Maine Favorites

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maine Favorites

From a trip that ended last nite, a just in cases!
LL Bean's Store and outlet in Freeport were an easy stop from 95N. Nearby Harraseeket's Lobster pound was a great way to start our vacation-turn at the large Indian a few miles south on Rte. 1 of the LL Bean outlet.
In Booth Bay Harbor, consider watching the sunset at Ocean Point, a few miles east on 96 and then hit the Lobsterman's Wharf in E. BB for dinner.The full Lobster dinner was worth every penny.
In Bar Harbor, the Blueberry pancakes at the Blueberry Muffin restaurant on Cottage Street were very good.
Lastly, Kennebunkport was a great, last stop on the way home-also an easy drive from Rte. 95. To see Pres. Bush's summer compound, take Ocean Ave (Rte 9?)east along the river and head a mile north up the beach-you can't miss it. Allison's in Kennebunkport was also a great lunch spot where I had to splurge on a Lobster Roll. Expensive but unforgettable!
Enjoy.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 09:54 AM
jcb

Thanks!

How many days were you gone, and how did you split up the nights?
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 10:34 AM

I absolutely love Maine!!! When my kids were little, we used to pull my Dad's little trailer from Ontario Canada all the way to Old Orchard Beach where we would camp. My son was just a baby and my daughter was about 4. I have such good memories from there. We would also go to Bar Harbor and Boothbay. My kids loved camping and playing by the ocean. They would fill their buckets with starfish and crabs and then they would let them all go again. They did not like lobster at first but they sure did develop a taste for it after while. My kids are now grown and have their own kids. We would quite often go there on our anniversary and our anniversary dinner was beer and hotdogs with the kids(the kids had juice). God I miss it!!!
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 11:05 AM

mitch, oob is still fun. why don't you gather the clan, come on down and let your kids teach their kids about starfish and crabs. i think they need to know.
was it the red hot dogs or the regular ones?
did you ever go to schoodic point when you were around bar harbor?
oh and we do still have a lobster pound or 2 scattered around the coast, so maybe your kids could treat you this time ???
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 06:12 PM

Hi Virginia:
I fully intend to take my grandchildren back down when they are a bit older. My little Granddaughter is just 13 months so when she is a little older, we will take her there. We now have our own tent trailer. We used to eat the regular hotdogs. I don't remember Schoodic Point but we may have been there, I just don't recall. Going down there camping and eating lobster is my idea of heaven. My husband always had the last 2 weeks of July off and the 17th was our anniversary. We loved to spend it down there.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 07:10 PM

schoodic is part of acadia but you have to take rte 1 north from belfast for 16 miles to get there. it's worth it. just went last friday. one-way 6 mile long loop with gorgeous views of the coast and islands. in the middle is an area with huge boulders along the shoreline. when the tide is coming in waves crash on the rocks and make lots of spray and water spouts. grab lunch before you get into the loop drive. there is nothing available and its fun to picnic on the rocks and then feed the gulls.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

to jcb:We did 3 nites in Booth Bay and 1 in Bar Harbor. We had a great trip but the weather turned ugly so we skipped the last nite that was planned for Kennebunkport.On our next trip, we hope to rent a cabin along the water in the Booth Bay area and settle-in for a week.
I forgot to add that if near Cappy's Chowder in Camden, stop for a small order/cup of Clam Chowder with a biscuit-a full meal! The blueberry pancake rest. in Bar Harbor was Jordan's.