Reload this Page >

What to do in Bar Harbor/Acadia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Paul

Our family will be in Maine in June - and right now we don't know we will get all the way north to Bar Harbor/Acadia.

If the family is not into camping, kayaking and/or serious hiking, is it worthwhile to plan time there anyway?

As an alternate, we could stay in Boothbay, New Harbor, spend more time in Camden, Portland, etc. Not sure how to play this... Thoughts?

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Liz

If you're traveling with kids, Acadia is a must. There are lots of ranger programs, and lots to do without "serious" hikes.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 11:49 AM
LJ

Bar Harbour is a great town, full of life, marvelous shopping and a good place to set out for whale-watching, day trips to authentic "down east Maine" destinations like Blue Hill, Castine, Stonington, the Chicken Barn, Blueberry Hill and Jordans in Ellesworth...oh, now you've got me packing!!!

Old May 1st, 2002, 04:29 AM
nick

I have the same question - I've been told Acadia is terrific and it's a 'don't miss' spot if traveling with kids. But, I can't see the family spending much time hiking or biking - Is Bar Harbor better than some other possible destinations much further south? Need some help...

Old May 1st, 2002, 05:00 AM
Liz

Nick-what types of things are you looking to do? To me, the towns in the southern coast of Maine are more about shopping, antiquing, things like that. Acadia is about enjoying the outdoors. It probably depends on the age of your kids.

Old May 1st, 2002, 05:13 AM
rob

acadia is for people who enjoy outdoor activities. there are some "overlook" type areas if you don't hike/bike....you could drive up to cadillac mtn...or go to sandy beach and stare out at the sea. i wouldn't say acadia has serious hiking....it's mostly short trails and the carriage roads for biking.

Old May 1st, 2002, 06:02 AM
Opinion

I'm a New Englander who has made one trip to Bar Harbor. It was a haul! It was beautiful up there, but I won't go back. I think Camden is a beautiful alternative, and that's far enough for me! There are two lovely cliff walks further south, as well: Black Point at Prouts Neck (near Portland) and Marginal Way from downtown Ogunquit to Perkins Cove. I don't know how old your kids are, but some "family" type stuff in Maine includes: museums in Portland, arcade at Old Orchard Beach, clambake (lobsters!) at Foster's Down East in York, and chillin at the beach. My favorite family beach is Goose Rocks in Kennebunkport - no facilities but a gradually sloping, calm, cove. If you go as far south as Portsmouth, NH you'd find Seacost Science Center, Water Country, and Strawberry Banke (colonial village). Have fun planning!