MAINE COAST/ACADIA TRIP /ANY SUGGESTIONS?

May 7th, 1998, 02:53 PM
DAVID

MAINE COAST/ACADIA TRIP /ANY SUGGESTIONS?

My wife & I are planning a 7-10 day trip to Maine. We want to go to Acadia/Mt. Desert Island, but are not sure if we need to stay there to enjoy it. We were thinking of staying off the island somewhere, thinking it might be less expensive, but we are not sure if the trade off makes sense. We both have never been to Maine. We are interested in immersing ourselves in the beauty of the land & seascape. That & eating some lobster of course! We are considering flying to Boston & driving from there. Any thoughts? Any inexpensive & nice places to stay? Restaurants? Thanks in advance!
David.

May 7th, 1998, 03:17 PM
Bre

We fkew to Boston about two yrs ago and drove up the coast to Nova S, (ferry) Make one of your stops Booth Bay. Lovely town. The lobsters are gggggreat !!!! Also take the clam bake tour while there. Just enjoy the coast as you travel. It is so beautiful.

May 7th, 1998, 04:57 PM
Carol

Stop in Boothbay Harbor on your way north. We go every year for four or five days and practically live on lobster. Don't miss The Lobster Dock, best lobster in town. We stay at the Tug Boat Inn. If you wanted to shorten your drive, you could fly into Portland. Don't miss Freeport and LL Bean. Bar Harbor and Acadia are nice, I've only been there once, it's about a three hour drive north of Boothbay Harbor. Have a nice trip!

May 7th, 1998, 05:05 PM
Pam

I was posting a message for info. on British Columbia & noticed your posting. I am a Maine native, will be glad to answer your questions. Acadia is lovely, the area is very popular...and also very crowded in the summertime.
You might want to look at the Boothbay or Camden areas...
Both are gorgeous little coastal towns, lobster is available at a multitude of excellent resaurants. Shops, boat excursions, hiking, and only an hour or two from Freeport (LL Bean and the best outlets in the state).
Also, don't overlook the western mountains,the Rangeley Lakes region is remarkable...a real 4 season village set right on the shore of a big Maine lake. Great fishing, boating, hiking...moose, deer, and wonderful people.
In any case, bring clothing for all kinds of weather, bug repellant, and an appetite!
I hope you fall in love with our state, and I'd be glad to answer any questions you and your wife have before coming.
Enjoy your trip!

PS-try Maine in late September, the foliage will knock you out, and most of the crowd has gone home.

May 7th, 1998, 11:20 PM
Jan

We have visited Maine for a couple of holidays in past years I would go along with previous replies both Camden and Boothbay are great we also spent a couple of days in York which we enjoyed and is only a short drive from Boston. I believe Bar Harbor can get very busy in the peak of the summer but we visited it at the end of june and it wasn't at all crowded. There are great hiking trails in Arcadia national park and don't miss going on a boat trip while you are there, we went on two, one to see the wild life and another evening one stopping off for a lobster dinner great! As for where to stop, Bar Harbor is a "walkable" place so if you like a walk out in evening to check out the restaurants etc. it might be worth paying the exta to stay in town. We stayed at the Hearthside a B&B I can thoroughly recommend, have a great trip.

May 25th, 1998, 09:43 AM
June

David,
If you haven't already completed your plans to visit Maine, I have a few suggestions. DON'T stay in Bar Harbor; it's crowded and expensive. We prefer staying in Southwest Harbor; it's much more "small-town" and still easy to visit Acadia from there. We especially like the Harbour Woods, small cottages that are very clean and some have kitchens. If you prefer a B&B, Lamb's Ear is nice.

Definitely plan to take boat trips to some of the islands. Some are run by and guided tours by the National Park Service, but others are just local ferries. We especially enjoyed renting bikes in SW Harbor and taking the ferry to Swan's Island. If you do that, don't miss the quarry from the top and a place called "Fine Sand Beach" lots of baby sand dollars.

Blue Hill is also a very pretty town; enjoy lunch or tea in the garden at Jean Paul's overlooking the water.

May 30th, 1998, 02:00 PM
Jane

Hi Pam, I got your email address fromt he Fiodors web site and I wonder if you could give us some information. My husband and I will be traveling in Maine in Mid July and are looking for places to stay around Rockland, Camden, Bath, Wiscasset and Portland. We belong to two clubs called the Hospitality Exchange and the Evergreen Bed & Breakfast Club which is for senior. We stay at each others homes for a very small fee. These clubs have amonst no one in Maine. Are you aware of any such clubs where we seniors could get cheap lodging for 1-3 days at a time. I's appreciate your response. Thanks Jane

Jun 1st, 1998, 05:16 AM
j.brueggen

We stayed in Bar Harbor at the Bar Harbor Inn. A great place, and they have very reasonable package deals. Off season would be best (Sept and Oct.)

Jun 8th, 1998, 03:28 PM
Ann-Marie

On the way up stop in Camden Maine- great hiking at
Camnden State Forest - Expensive but amazing B&B there - Norumbega (a restored castle). Camp in Acadia 10-12 dollars a night at the nat'l camp sites. It is absolutely beautiful-you'll enjoy.

Jun 13th, 1998, 06:48 PM
Lisa Doan

My husband and I have traveled up and down the coast of Maine several times. Our favorite spot is Monhegan Island. You have to take the postal ferry out to the island. I believe it runs twice a day. The island is a real treat. The cliffs on one side of the island are breathtaking!!!! There are trails on the island which are very enjoyable. Many very well known painters hold clinics on this island because of its beauty.

Jun 14th, 1998, 01:52 PM
G LUCKER

WHERE YOU FLY INTO DEPENDS ON THE TIME YOU WANT TO SPEND JUST MEANDERING AROUND IT IS ALL SO BEAUTIFUL. FROM BOSTON I WOULD GO TO SALEM AND THEN FOLLOW THE IA HWY AND JUST ENJOY THE SECNERY, HIKE OR TAKE WILDLIFE TOURS ON THE OCEAN. MAINE IS BEAUTIFUL, WE HAVE ONLY BEEN IN THE FALL (3 TIMES( AND EACH TIME WE GO IT SEEMDS WE FIND ANOTHER SPOT WE MISSED PREVIOUSLY. BAR HARBOR IS BREATH-TAKING AND WELL AS ALL THE LITTLE ISLAND YOU CAN FIND ON THE COAST JUST DRIVE, FIND A ROAD AND ASK - I WONDER WHERE THAT GOES - AND FIND OUT, IT IS THE ONLY WAY TO TRAVEL.

Jun 22nd, 1998, 02:02 PM
melody

We just returned from Bar Harbor & Boothbay. Frankly, I preferred Bar Harbor with more to see and do, but we were there just before the start of their peak season. We stayed at the TIDES in Bar Harbor. You could walk right into all of the shops and restaraunts in 2 seconds, yet this B&B was incredibly beautiful. Right on the water with a gorgeous front porch facing the water with an outdoor fireplace to use at you convenience. Adirondack chairs await you by the water and during low tide you can walk across the sand bar to another island. The breakfasts were incredible, and so was the fireplace in our room. Eat at Poor Boy's and you won't be disappointed - save room for desert, and if you go to Boothbay eat at Voila's and sit outside on the water. In boothbay we stayed at the Harbour Towne Inn, but even though it was conveniently located, I wouldn't recommend it. Hope your weather is better than ours.

Jul 6th, 2003, 05:00 PM

I agree completely with Melody. I would not recommend the Harbour Towne Inn either. Way too expensive for what you get, and the innkeeper didn't seem to enjoy his job! There are other places that have a better view of the harbor for the same price. The Camden-Lincolnville area is a good mid-point location. It's a 1 1/2 hr. drive to Bar Harbor/Acadia. We stayed at the Mount Battie Motel in Lincolnville and were very pleased with the price, location & room. The owners bent over backwards to please the guests -- something that we did not find at the Harbour Towne Inn. Mount Battie Motel was $95 per night and included a refrigerator, queen bed, sitting area, hair dryer, view of the ocean, etc. If going through Wiscassett, make sure to stop at Red's Eats for a lobster roll & onion rings! The Marston House Inn in Wiscassett provided one of the best breakfasts we found during our stay -- and the room was only $95 per night.
Jul 6th, 2003, 05:54 PM

Did he ever return..no,he never returned and his fate is still unlearned
Jul 11th, 2003, 11:59 AM

My wife and I recently stayed at a small B&B in Bar Harbor (the Hatfield B&B). It was very cozy, clean and a great deal at around $100/night. It was a short walk to everything. In addition, we didn't have to worry about parking, and the free shuttle took us everywhere we needed to go on the island. Main Street in Bar Harbor did get crowded on Friday and Saturday night, but the innkeeper did a great job of making reservations for us, so we weren't bothered by the crowds. And the proximity to the activities (whale watching, hiking in the park) made staying in Bar Harbor a good choice.

One note about crowds: I live and work in NYC, riding the subways practically everyday, so I may have a higher tolerance than most.