ideas?

Old Jul 31st, 2011, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ideas?

Heading to Maine the week of Aug. 7th... plan on staying in Bar Harbor first 3 nights and wondering about good places to eat. Any ideas of where to stay between Boston airport and Maine b/4 getting to Bar Harbor. I will take any ideas about hiking, kayaking, brewpubs in this area. Thank you so much.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 05:43 PM

Egads, you're heading to MAINE in AUGUST and you don't have reservations for the first night yet? Boston to Bar Harbor is about 5.5 hours drive, any reason you're wanting to stop and stay somewhere on the way? Are you looking for lakeside, coastal, city? Actually you may have to take whatever you can get at this late date, probably roadside Econolodge.

As far as dining in BH, Cafe This Way is good, The Lobster Claw, Maggie's and Cafe Bluefish.
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 02:29 AM

Maybe Portland to get a dose of city before Bar Harbor. Lots of eating and drinking choices. Harbor tour? But you would still have a long drive.

Rockland is 2 hours north of Portland. Nice easy, short hike to Owls Head Light. Our favorite lobster shack is nearby - Waterman's Beach.

North of Camden on Rt 1, but not as far as Ellsworth, Chicken Barn Antiques and Used books is a great place to stop for reading material in case you get any rainy days. Not really on the ocean but Glenmoor-by-the-Sea is close to Camden. We take the auto road up Mt Battie but you can hike. Stupendous view overlooking Camden Harbor. Glenmoor offers a variety of accomodations from motel to cottages.
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

I know joesorce..crazy, right?...it was a late decision..but I do have lodging booked in bar harbor on days 2,3,4...check out on 5th day. I wanted to stop someplace on the way to bar harbor, which is day one..so we can take our time and see something wonderful along the way. So I am ok with a smaller town as I know the lodging is tough with such a short notice. I am thinking about on day 5 going to Stonington, as I was told they have great kayaking. I can look into Rockland and Glenmoor. Thank you both so much... I appreciate any helpful ideas!!!
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 10:55 AM

I don't want to lead anyone wrong here, but I was surprised to find a LOT of vacancy signs in Bar Harbor last week (July 29). There was a healthy amount of tourists and plenty of No Vacancy signs as well but you could have done it with out reservations. I don't know if Camden, being closer to civilization would be more full. But I do think staying there is a good idea. I loved Bar Harbor/Acadia but there is a LOT to be said for the coast of Maine further south too - Camden/Rockport, Boothbay Harbor, Portland, Kennebunckport, Ogunquit, and York. There are brewpubs in most of those places.

I just posted a mini trip report - http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...s-and-tips.cfm

Here are my photos of Maine - these are all of Camden and south of there. I hope to get my photos Acadia up later today or tomorrow. http://www.pbase.com/annforcier/new_england
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 01:35 PM

We are going to Camden tomorrow for two nights. We wanted to stay longer but local events meant that everything good is booked for the latter part of the week.
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

We stayed in Camden for two nights. I wish we would have stayed there for 4 nights and made day trips out from there. I enjoyed Camden so much more than Bar Harbor. Two nights is plenty in Bar Harbor.