Maine - Bar Harbor/Camden B&Bs

Old Aug 4th, 2003, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maine - Bar Harbor/Camden B&Bs

Just thought I'd post a separate note in case my questions re which B&B to stay at get lost at the bottom of my other post. Hope that's okay....Thanks so much for all your help so far. I'm getting really excited for this vacation! Now I'm trying to decide where to stay in Bar Harbor and Camden. I've narrowed it down to the following:

Bar Harbor - Castle Maine Inn, Mira Monte Inn, Maples Inn

Camden - A Little Dream (love this one but could be a bit pricey), Hartstone Inn, Camden Windward House, Hawthorn Inn

Anyone heard things either good or bad about these places? Thanks so much!
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 05:31 PM

Although I don't have much experience at B&B's to draw on, we were very happy with the Hartstone Inn. I thought our room was nicer than it appeared online, and if you decide to stay there, absolutely try to get a reservation for their dinner. There is no menu, but they check to see what you won't eat, or might be allergic to. It was amazing! I'd go back just to experience the dinner again. And, the breakfast in the morning was excellent. The Inn is just a block or so from the water. The town is adorable.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 06:45 PM

Little dream..hands down.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 11:44 PM

It's been a while since we were in Camden but we did stay at both Hartstone and the Belmont. We were not crazy about the Hartstone)it's on the "main drag") We loved the Belmont but I understand it has changed hands. I'd suggest you check it out. We stayed in the attic room and loved it.
This is also on a side street. It's immensely quiet.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 12:55 PM
RLA

It has been awhile for me too since I went to Camden, but my parents went more recently. We both stayed at Winward House and loved it. My husband and I stayed in the Eagles Nest (3rd floor) which is nicer than it looks on the website pictures. If anyone is extremely tall, the sloped attic ceilings might be annoying, but otherwise it is plenty roomy. Also, there are stairs to the 3rd floor which were fine unless you are not healthy or have lots of luggage. The ownership changed in between my parents and my visit, but they were as happy with it as we were. I LOVED the Tricia Romance art, but they may have left with the first owner. I went in August and the flowers were blooming profusely. The flowers all across the B&B next door to Winward were especially eye-popping! The location was an easy walk to shopping and the harbor. We did a tour on an antique schooner owned by a couple who were former teacher's. They were quiet fascinating. We enjoyed thier stories about how they had sailed all over the world with thier 4 children aboard and homeschooled them. Camden is a beautiful place. Enjoy!
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Blair, if you're reading this, check out my new post on Little Dream....Thanks!