Search

Maine Accomodations

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2009, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maine Accomodations

We are going to Maine the beginning of September. We are looking for a place to stay on the ocean. I know there are lots of places, but I am having trouble finding what we are looking for.

We don't need a four star place, nor a golf course or a spa. We want a private cabin but not one for a dozen people (it is only the two of us). Would be nice to have a restaurant and bar on site.

Some I have looked at look rather run down or not really on the ocean only with a possible ocean view.

Suggestions?
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 08:15 AM

Contrary to what you might presume, there are not that many oceanside cottages on the coast of Maine, due to severe winter weather, erosion, etc. And, cottages with on sight restaurant/bar tend to be quite pricey.

The Maine Coast covers a lot of area - so, where?
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Didn't know that - interesting. We may go over to Nova Scotia - may be have some there.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 11:44 AM

Once you narrow down your coastal destination, it should not be difficult to find a private cottage. On-site restaurant and bar will generally push things into the resort category. Try acadiachamber.com or acadiamagic for areas close to Acadia National Park/Bar Harbor. September is generally beautiful and availability may be an issue if you are traveling over Labor Day weekend, September 5,6,7. Have a great vacation.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 12:06 PM

How long do you want a place for? The weekend? A week? It makes a difference.

We just got home from a whole week in a wonderful cottage, fully equipped, with 2 bedrooms, kitchen, dining room, living room, bathroom, etc., on the ocean (on the Kennebec River, near the mouth of the ocean, really), and it was rather reasonable, considering the features. He may or may not have that week available.

There was no bar on the site (it was nice and private), but we found a nice restaurant and bar within about 6 miles!
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 12:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
RetiredVermonter, would u mind sharing where one could get info on the cottage u rented? thanks
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

We are looking at midweek stay of 3 to 4 days. Would you share the name of the place you stayed on the Kennebec River?
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 11:04 AM

We stayed at White Rocks Cottage, Georgetown, Maine. You can get info on their web site.

I rather doubt that they will have availability at this late date, but I wish you luck!
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 11:46 AM

My family used to use this place:

http://www.higginsbeachmaine.com/rentals.cfm

Even if you don't immediately see something that seems suitable on the website, phone or e-mail them. They were always very nice to my family.

BC