Mai Tai Tom's Magical History Tour - Philly, Gettysburg, VA, DC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2018, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts

So as to not get carpal tunnel copying and pasting, and because it doesn't make as much sense without photos, here is the link to trip report that took us to Philadelphia, Gettysburg, Virginia and Washington DC.

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/cha...-square-roots/

Although it came 52 years late, my 8th grade field trip to Philadelphia, Gettysburg, presidential homes in Virginia and a quick stop in Washington DC finally came to fruition this spring. Our friends Kim and Mary joined Tracy and me on our time traveling adventure back to the early roots of our country. Our journey started in Philadelphia where one sight after another brought history back to life. All of that walking meant we could partake in a variety of cuisines, including one of the most memorable meal experiences of my life. While visiting Gettysburg, we hired a licensed battlefield guide who drove us around for three hours regaling us with stories as he navigated these hallowed grounds. Fortunately we didn’t have to dodge any cannon barrages. In Virginia, we were welcomed to the homes of three of our Founding Father presidents, and we learned a lot of facts that never made it into our 8th-grade textbooks. Finally, in Washington DC, on our quick visit (we’d spent a week here nine years ago) a couple of relatively new pictures at the National Portrait Gallery caught our eye, and we secured tickets (barely) to the very interesting National Museum of African American History and Culture. There was even time to grab a bite at our favorite DC haunt.

I purchased tickets for a few of these sights online long in advance of our trip so we wouldn’t miss out on any of the places we definitely did not want to miss. And the weather … well, I believe our visit to this part of the country was the only time in the weeks before or after in which an ark or snowshoes weren’t needed to get around.
Our walk through history more than lived up to expectations, so please hop in the Mai Tai Tom Time Machine as we begin our Magical History Tour.

Chapter One: Square Roots
Day One - And I Thought The Flight Would Be Dangerous, Union General, No Frills American, “Wit”, Trinity Vicinity, Stairway To Heaven, A Walk By Parc in The Park, Mama’s Got A Brand New Bag, Dandy Dandelion and Things Get A Little Sticky
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 01:32 PM
Amy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aaaaaah! Loving it! I know right where your place was, as I've done events at Colonial Dames. It's a great little street!
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't wait for part 2.
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 03:34 PM

You're living the dream.

Riddle me this? Why are the Beatles dressed like pop tarts?

Old Jun 5th, 2018, 08:18 AM

Fabulous report, as usual. Thank you, Tom.
Old Jun 6th, 2018, 10:02 AM

Tom, Pt. 1 has us hooked and looking forward to more!
Old Jun 6th, 2018, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

CHAPTER TWO: YOU SAY YOU WANT A REVOLUTION

Link here:
https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/cha...-a-revolution/

Day Two – Subway Impaired, We Almost Dined There, A Walk Through American History, In Tents, The Streets Of Philadelphia, No Old Mary, Where’s Karen, What’s A Founding Father Like You Doing In A Bank Like This, Washington’s Pew, Don’t Drop The Font, Right Down My Alley, Fire!, Sew What, Ben Deserves Better, I (Don’t) Declare, Did You Write On That Bell, Black Sheep Of The Family, Glorious Gnocchi and Kitchen Aid

Just a typical day for us (about nine miles of walking). Hitting the streets of Philadelphia, we found ourselves in the middle of the Revolutionary War at a fantastic new museum, the Museum of the American Revolution. We also visited the church where many Founding Fathers worshipped, the burial ground of five Declaration of Independence signers (including Ben), an art gallery in a bank, the nation’s oldest inhabited street and the building where the first Continental Congress met (among other things). Yet we still had time for a quick pub stop and one of the best dinners … ever.

Last edited by maitaitom; Jun 6th, 2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old Jun 7th, 2018, 04:45 AM

I just LOVE reading your reports.
I live in a suburb of Philadelphia and have't seen some of the places you visited.
Old Jun 8th, 2018, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

"I live in a suburb of Philadelphia and have't seen some of the places you visited."

We'll all meet at Ristorante Pesto next time Museum of the American Revolution is very well done as was the National Constitution Center, which I will get to. We absolutely loved Philly!!
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by maitaitom
We'll all meet at Ristorante Pesto next time Museum of the American Revolution is very well done as was the National Constitution Center, which I will get to. We absolutely loved Philly!!
Sounds like a plan.
I visited the Constitution Center shortly after it opened, but haven't been back since and I know they change the displays.
I have not yet made it to the Museum of the American Revolution, but I will!
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Chapter Three: Philadelphia Freedom

Day Three: Independence Day, Act Of Congress; Tiptoe Through The Tulips, Let Freedom Ring, Phake Philly Phanatic, Skuggs The Squirrel, Go Fly A Kite, Stop/Start The Presses, Take A Ride On The Reading, Akia In A Kia, Not Exactly Hamilton, I’ve Seen This Movie Before, Afternoon Constitutional, Hanging With The Founders, We Need Uber To Give Us A Lift To Lyft and Meeting The Real Philly Phanatics

We were up early on Day 3 in Philly. Starting the day we visited Independence Hall. By the end of the day we’d also checked out Congress Hall, the Liberty Bell, Benjamin Franklin Museum and the National Constitution Museum. Uber and Lyft made our day a little more interesting, too. Speaking of our constitution, we had a fun lunch at an historic train terminal and dinner with nine more of Fodors' finest at a delicious French restaurant located in Rittenhouse Square. Never a dull moment with this group! Link below with story and photos.
https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/cha...lphia-freedom/

Old Jun 12th, 2018, 01:06 PM
Amy

Hurrah! I've been waiting for this update. It sounds like you filled your days pretty full, allowing sufficient time for the finer things in life. (Food.)
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 04:38 AM

Your trip reports are not only informative, but they are entertaining as well.
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Chapter Four: Basilica, Barnes & Bones

Day Four: Girder Guys, Peter Paul and Kathy, A Contentious Move, Rampant Renoir, Where Did Van Gogh Toulouse-Lautrec, An Artful Lunch, Disturbingly Informative, Skeletal Remains, I’ll Take Manhattan, The Streets of Philadelphia, Biking Bar, Marvelous Mexican and National Geographic’s “#1 Gelato In The World”

We hit the cool lobby of the Comcast Center, the Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul, Barnes Foundation and the Mütter Museum. Great dinner and great gelato (thanks to info given to us at the Philly GTG). Plus Kim got to take one of his patented ceiling photos at the basilica.
Here's the link to today (nine more miles of walking the Streets of Philadelphia!
https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/cha...-barnes-bones/

Old Jun 21st, 2018, 04:26 AM

Another great report. I love you sense of humor.
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

On our last day in Philadelphia, we visited the inner sanctum of one of the most beautiful buildings in the city, The Masonic Temple. Then we took our photo with Rocky (no Bullwinkle) in front of an art museum we think rivals the best in the world, The Philadelphia Museum of Art. After a filling cheesesteak, we stopped by a place where one of the Three Stooges was born, an historic cemetery, a surprise mosaic in a publishing building, and still had time to make it to the top of Philly’s beautiful City Hall. We turned in early, because on the following day … it was on to Gettysburg. Link below...

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/cha...philly-finale/

Chapter Five: Philly Finale

Day Five: I’ve Got To Be Free, Rooms of Beauty, Walk Like An Egyptian, How About That Secret Handshake, A Rocky Time To The Top, Tracy Falls In Love with Two Sargents, The Bet, The Big Cheese, No Moe or Curly, We’re Still Closed, Stacked Burial Ground, Rambling Man, Majestic Mosaic and You Can’t Beat City Hall

We hit the pavement early on our final day in Philly. Knowing my lack of balance, that statement could be taken literally, however we safely navigated all of our walks...

Old Jun 26th, 2018, 03:10 PM
Amy

Wow, you really covered a nice amount! I can't believe none of us mentioned the Dream Garden mosaic; it's one of my two favorite mosaic locations in Philadelphia (Magic Gardens being the other.) I'm glad you had a good time and hope you can get back soon!
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Amy, Magic Gardens were on my list (along with others), but ran out of time. I blame the Irish pubs

Old Jun 27th, 2018, 04:12 PM

Another enjoyable chapter. Liked your fake writing on the Liberty Bell pic, reminiscent of your fake photo in a cave in France. And, Ristoranto Pesto is a must in a visit to Philly. Great report.
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Seven score and 15 years ago today the second day of the Battle of Gettysburg raged on. It was the bloodiest day of the three-day battle. In early May, we were lucky enough to visit the battleground where a licensed guide took us on a chronological, three-hour tour of Gettysburg. It was fascinating and informative. Here’s a recount of our Gettysburg tour, along with a few other tidbits.

Day Six – Trying To Keep My Eyes Open, Gettysburg By George, History Comes Alive, Francis Scott Key’s Son & The General, A Massive Screw-Up (Or Was It), Uni-Sickles, Warren Stands Tall, Home State Advantage Four Score, 1776, What State Are We In, Harper’s Bizarre, B&B Heaven and Getting Stonewalled

Link to story and pictures....

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/cha...of-gettysburg/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -