Madison, WI & Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin East

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2004, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend and I are visiting Madison, WI over Labor Day weekend this year and I'm doing a little advance planning - which makes the trip that much more fun for me!

We're staying at the Ruby Marie. Tried to get in at the Edgewater Hotel, but it is already booked for the weekend!

Any advice on things to do, places to see (either there or along the way from Minneapolis to Madison) would be appreciated. I do know that we are planning to stop in Spring Green to see Taliesin East and we are trying to decide which tour to take there. The House Tour alone is $40. The Estate Tour where you get to see it all is $70 and takes 4 hours. Has anyone been on these tours to tell me more than the website does?
Old May 2nd, 2004, 03:14 PM

Marie,

Madison is my hometown (now living in Chicago). The city has many things to see and do, but my #1 recommendation is to NOT MISS the farmers' market on the Square. It runs every Saturday through October from 6 am til 2 pm. I've never found a better farmers' market, anywhere. (Hopefully you'll be in town Saturday am.) It being Labor Day weekend, I'm sure there'll be all sorts of things going on.

While you're there, pick up a free copy of the Isthmus, or go to www.isthmus.com ahead of time for ideas on what to do, where to eat, etc.

Have fun!
Old May 2nd, 2004, 03:50 PM

Hi Marie,
We live in Saint Paul but both went to college in Madison. Our favorite place to stop for breakfast or lunch is the Norske Nook in Osseo. Best pie on earth and the prices are so low compared to The Cities! Osseo is about 20 minutes past Eau Claire or about 1.75 hours from The Cities.
Definitely hit the farmer's market. What are you looking to do in Madison? What age range are you and your friend? For the young at heart, have a beer on the Memorial Union Terrace at sunset. Or have drinks or Sunday brunch at the Edgewater near the windows. Walk up and down State Street, from the capitol to campus. There is a Unitarian Church that FL Wright designed that is immediately west of campus-- I think they have tours?
Have a great time- it's a fun place to visit!
Old May 2nd, 2004, 05:05 PM

Labor Day Weekend is also The Taste Of Madison. Over 50 restaurants selling small examples of their best and cannot charge more than $3.00. Four different music stages. All this is surrounds the state capital. Great people watching!
try www.madfest.org/taste
Old May 2nd, 2004, 05:47 PM

It's going to be a very busy weekend in Mad-Town because it is also the Badgers' home opener at Camp Randall Stadium (so you are wise to have taken care of booking your place to stay already.) One attraction in the Spring Green area that people seem to either love or HATE is The House on the Rock:

http://www.thehouseontherock.com/

While it's not exactly my cup of tea and I wouldn't dare to compare it with a visit to Taliesin in any respect, the thing is bizarre enough to make it worth mentioning:

http://www.thehouseontherock.com/

I agree 1000% on the Madison Farmers Market. Don't miss it!
Old May 2nd, 2004, 05:51 PM

Ooops! Didn't mean to put that link in twice to make it look like I'm promoting it!
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 12:15 PM

Madison is one of my favorite places to visit. There are several restaurants to choose from downtown Madison and an urban sprawl of shopping and dining out on the far west side of Madison. I stayed at a Holiday Inn on the West side where there was a fun indoor water park that my kids enjoyed. Seemed to be close to everything.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 01:57 PM

We did the $40.00 house tour of Taliesin several years ago. Well worth the money, but I was glad we didn't spring for the longer tour. It's just too bad that Frank Lloyd Wright wasn't much of an engineer. When we were there, they were having to put supports under the house, the hill was starting to give way. Also, be aware that there is a functioning architecture school on site, so the entire house isn't open for tours.

I've always loved the House on the Rock. The life sized 'music boxes' are worth the price of admission, if you ask me. Certainly not for everyone though.

Jean