Search

Mackinaw Island

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mackinaw Island

Hello!

We are planning to visit both the city and island. We plan to stay in the city and do a day trip to the island.
We are traveling with 3 kids, ages 8, 6, 4 - we want to tour the island by bike. Does anyone know how long it would take to tour the island by bike. What is the best bike rental place, etc. Or is it worthwhile to take our own bikes? The must sees on the island.
Also the must sees in the City.
What is the best hotel to stay at. Moderate price with an indoor pool and continental breakfast.
Any information is appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 03:43 AM

You don'y have alot of options in hotels on the island , and I can't recommned a particular one since I have never stayed there but I do here that it is a real tret to stay one island at least for a night . The whole feeling changes once the crowds leave for the day.
You could spend a leisurly couple of hours touring the island by bike but I would think it would not be worth the hassel of taking your own bikes when you can easily rent them there. Remember you'd have to take your bikes over ON a boat..with kids.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 04:22 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
The amount of time it takes to tour the island depends on the rider's speed and the number of times you wish to stop. To simply ride around the island while pulling a bike trailer takes about an hour (about 8 miles); of course, if you stop at the fort, or along the shore, or along the paths, or stop whenever you choose, the ride will take longer.

Bike rental places on the island are all about the same; taking your bikes on the ferries will cost money, so it's really up to you to balance convenience and economics.

Hotel options are indeed few on the island. The Lakeview Hotel in the center of the town (practically across the street from the ferries) is reasonable, as is the Island House. Mission Point is the resort, but may not be within your budget. A personal favorite is Hotel Iroquois, but they do not have a pool.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 06:26 AM

rhl269, also remember that the Island uses the French spelling of Mackinac, but the City uses the English spelling Mackinaw. If you confuse the two, the locals are likely to toss you into a pot of fudge.;-)

I agree that the bike rental places are pretty interchangable and that you'd have to weigh the cost and convenience of rental versus bringing your own bikes.

As I recall, single-speed bikes start around $4/ hour or $25/ day. Multi-speeds and tandems are higher. I'm not sure about the number of kids bikes available, but most of the places have tagalongs that attach to adult bikes for around $3/hour.

Either Arnold ferry or Shepler's charge $20 for adults and $10 for children over age 5. Shepler's used to have a special for 2 adults and 1 child for $42. Bikes are $7.50 each.

You can find more info and request a tourism package from www.mackinac.com.

Old Jan 5th, 2007, 07:55 AM

I believe rhl269 is asking for hotel recomendations in Mackinaw City - daytipping to Mackinac Island.

How long the bike trip will take depends on how much you want to see. A ride around the shore is about 9 miles. It is mostly level and without the kids, just riding would take perhaps an hour. I don't know how much slower the kids will ride.

Allow another hour for stops along the way.

The interior of the island is hilly and you could spend a couple of days riding.

Citylghts, the locals will only know the difference if you are writing the words. They are both pronounced as if they end with a "w."

Keith
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 03:06 PM

You didn't say when you plan to go, but we went once in June during the Lilac Festival and it was drop dead gorgeous.

I had to laugh at the comment about being dropped in a pot of fudge. Fudge and ice cream shops abound.