Condos on Mackinac Island

Old Jul 14th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Condos on Mackinac Island

I hear mostly about the Stonecliff Condos at Mackinac Island. Anyone know of any others that are better or cheaper?
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 03:46 AM

I'm curious as to why you keep asking your Mackinac Island questions separately. Why don't you just ask all your questions in one post?

Ferry takes 20 minutes, or so. No motor scooters on the island. Not familiar with condos, so can't help you there.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 02:46 AM
Original Poster

mikesmom,

In answer to your question about why I have asked Mackinac Island questions separately rather than all in one post...The reason is simple...I did not think of them all at once. I had one question one day. Then, the next day, I thought of another...Then, a little later I thought of another...Frustrating to me as well. I'm not purposely trying to think of different questions. They just come to me from time to time.

All that said, I just came on here to post my most recent question....What is Mackinac Island like the 2 last days of the Yacht Race? We are planning to be there then, and just found out about the Yacht people all being there and heard there is a lot of noise and partying. We are actually going to the island for some peace and quiet, and I'm a little concerned.

Will we be able to go about our plans...horseback riding, carriage ride, bike the island, eat at restaurants, parasailing, without it being overcrowded and noisy with the Yacht folks? Do they "overtake" the island during this time?
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 02:58 AM
Original Poster

I realize now that I could have added more questions to an original, existing post, but I thought at the time that I needed a different post because of subject/title being different. I will try to keep my questions all in this post now. I do wish I could change the title of the post to something other than "Condos" since I'm not asking about that subject in particular anymore.

Here's another question I have...

If there are three ferry lines to choose from to go to and from the island...Why would someone pick one over the other? What is the difference? Is one better or worse than another?

Next, Are there good places to rent bikes and bad places to rent bikes? Are there any bike rental places I should avoid?
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 05:49 AM

Ferries are a matter of personal choice. You can go from Mackinaw City or St. Ignace. We pick based on where we want to park the car.

Lately, we've taken our own bikes to the island, but have never had a bad bike rental. I suggest going with the mountain bikes so you can explore the interior of the island more easily.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 06:01 AM

The three ferry lines are not clustered together. Most people pick one because it's closer to the hotel their staying at. They all charge the same.

As far as bikes are concerned, there are so many bike rental places on the island, I would just choose one based on how new or kept-up they look.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 12:45 PM

The race folks will not impact your carriage ride or bicycling. They will be almost exclusively on the boats and nearby bars and restaurants.

But you are going during high season. To go to Mackinac Island for peace and quiet, I would go in May, June, September or October.

Even during the peak, if you go very far into the park, you will find that all but a few of the visitors are in town or at the attractions. Also, the Island will quiet in the evenings as the day trippers leave.

Keith
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

New Question:

What about carriage tours...Are there ones that are better than others?

Any you would suggest in particular, and any to avoid?

What about restaurants?

We plan to eat at the Grand Hotel, Woods Restaurant, and the Carriage House at Hotel Iroquois. Any others you would suggest we try or recommend we avoid?
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 01:04 PM

Have a drink at the Pink Pony!
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 01:18 PM

One company runs all of the carriage tours, you can go with a group or have a private one.

The same company company holds all the taxi licences, except for one or two.

Keith
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 02:28 PM

We had a room in late June last year that overlooked the main street in the center of town and after dark and the day trippers had headed back to the mainland, all was calm and quiet.