Block Island

Sep 4th, 2018, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Block Island

Would like to take a mid-week trip to Block Island. Just some relaxing, checking out the area, bike riding, good (hopefully seafood) meals. Any suggestions. Thinking next week sometime. We're only a 3 hour ride away...

Thanks!
Sep 5th, 2018, 08:35 AM

Are you going from Point Judith?

BI is quite small and if you bring bikes, you can get around it quite easily. Plenty of food options near the ferry landing. If you need a break from sun or rain, the library had a nice display downstairs.
Sep 5th, 2018, 05:18 PM

There is a small local history museum run by the Block Island Historical Society, though if memory serves, it has very short hours — check first before visiting. The Southeast Lighthouse was fairly interesting and provides a nice viewpoint, located at the southern end of the island. Didn’t get to the North Lighthouse, which is at the top end of the island.

There are also various beaches to explore. If you decide to venture off into grassy areas, check yourself afterwards for ticks, which reportedly are very prevalent and can carry Lyme Disease. I stuck to pavement and sand when I was there.

Getting around is best accomplished by bike or taxi. I did walk to the Southeast Lighthouse from the town center, though I don’t think there were any sidewalks.