A Big Island Quickie Trip Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2018, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was on the Big Island to work at an annual conference at the Mauna Lani Hotel. We added two days to do a bit of sightseeing. FYI, I live on Kauai and I’ve been to the Big Island many times, so we didn’t feel the need to do “everything.”

Driving from the Kona airport we noticed a spot where there were quite a few cars parked. We parked and saw that it was a field of lava with quite a few enormous lava tubes that tourists were exploring. We hiked out and enjoyed the unearthly views. The vog was heavy and I feared it did not bode well for the air quality we’d be experiencing. But as we drove north, within ten or fifteen minutes, there was a noticeable improvement. By the time we got to the Mauna Lani we didn’t notice any vog on the horizon and the air seemed fine. I would have had no indication that there was a volcano on the island. In fact, in past years at this conference, I’ve had some sinus trouble. But the air quality seemed better this time. I’m guessing the trade winds were to thank.

The hotel was fantastic. The views and sunsets from our oceanfront room were beautiful. They are planning a major renovation. I can see that they might want to “refresh” the rooms, but they were fine for me. The interior of the hotel, with its streams filled with tropical fish was impressive. The grounds, with ancient fish ponds and lava tubes made for some beautiful walks and photos. By late afternoon, there were quite a few turtles resting on the beach quite close to the hotel.

Breakfasts at the hotel buffet were pricey, but good. My omelet from the omelet bar was exceptional. Because of my crazy work schedule, lunches and dinners were mostly salads and sandwiches picked up at the nearby Foodland Farms in Waikoloa Village and eaten while working. One evening, when I stopped at the shopping center there was a terrific, free hula show. It was one of the best I’ve seen.

On our first day off, I re-created a wonderful day I’d had last year--but this time, with DH. Our first stop was Lapakahi State Historical Park. Such a beautiful setting for an ancient village. Next stop: lunch and coffee in Hawi at the Kohala Coffee Mill. We enjoyed our sandwiches and oat cakes then enjoyed browsing in the shops and galleries.

Then ... on to hike at the Pololu Valley. What a gorgeous hike! It was a little slippery in spots and steep--especially on the way back up! My camera and I both got quite a workout.

I had hoped to take a tour to stargaze on Mauna Kea, but a week in advance, all the tours were sold out. I would have also liked to get a view of the lava flow, but after the recent lava bomb incident, I wasn’t comfortable taking a boat, and the helicopter that left from Kona was $574 pp. Our other option was to drive to Hilo and take a helicopter from there, but it didn’t work well with our schedules. Friends who were at the conference took the helicopter ride and said it was phenomenal.

The next day we took the Waipio Valley Shuttle to ... (can you guess???) ... the Waipio Valley! It was a wonderful trip and I was SOOOOO glad I didn’t try to drive into the valley myself. Our van crossed five rivers--and a couple of them seemed way too deep for a vehicle to cross. The guide/driver was excellent and we really enjoyed the trip. We saw quite a few wild horses and some very beautiful scenery and waterfalls.

DH is a descendent (on both sides of his family) of the first missionaries to arrive in Hawaii. So we visited the Mokuaikaua Churchthat had been founded and built by his 4thcousin (with whom he shares a name) in 1820. The church historian was thrilled to have us visit and planned to give us a personal tour, but she had an emergency, and by the time she was able to get there, we had to leave for the airport. LBut it was interesting and nice to see the plaques and memorabilia that related to his family. We also visited Huliheʻe Palace, the vacation home of Hawaiian royalty, which was right across the street from the church. I enjoyed the visit, but felt profoundly sad about what happened to the royals and the kingdom.

Unfortunately, it was SWELTERING in Kailua-Kona and the air quality was appreciably worse. I would have liked to spend more time browsing, but the heat was just too intense. So... we headed for the airport and bid farewell to the Big Island until next year’s conference.

Lava Tube

Madagascar gecko at the restaurant in Hawi

Waipio Valley

Pololu Valley Hike

Lapakahi State Historic Park

Wild horse & waterfall in Waipio Valley

Honu on the beach near Mauna Lani (zoom lens -- I did not get that close!)
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 06:26 AM

Wonderful photos! Thanks for posting.
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 06:45 AM

What a nice trip update - thanks for posting. The Big Island is magical.
Old Aug 11th, 2018, 07:37 AM

Lovely photos and report, thanks!
Old Aug 11th, 2018, 09:12 AM

I always love your posts. I've done the Polaou Valley hike down to the water and I agree, it's wonderful.
Old Aug 28th, 2018, 01:53 PM

I am glad to see this report since my family has a trip planned to Maui and Big Island in December. I have really been making myself crazy on whether to switch and visit Kauai instead of the Big Island, but my gut is telling me to keep our plans as is. We are staying at the Fairmont Orchid. I am not so concerned about the are where the hotel is, but more about if we will be limited in what we see/do on the Big Island. It seems like there will be plenty to do!
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 07:12 AM

There might be some access to Volcano National Park by then, if some spokespeople can be trusted​​​​​​. With abatement of volcanic activity, they are assessing the condition of the roads there.
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 08:05 AM

Yes, I saw that they are trying to open parts in September, and then hopefully even more by December. Regardless, we will make the best of it!
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 05:35 AM

Don't forget that the Kahuku Unit has been open 5 days a week since the LERZ eruption activity; it is still looking very good for a partial opening of the main park as well.
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 10:21 PM

BI hotels

Thanks for the update Songdoc. Always look forward to your reports. Was thinking about going to BI in December. Looking into the newly redone Hapuna beach Hotel but there was indication that there is some building going on next door. What do you know about it. Did you visit the Westin Hapuna beech Hotel? Any opinion? Stayed there before remodel and enjoyed it. The other option is the Fairmont Orchid. Interested in your thoughts
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 03:29 AM

Thanks for the report. Your pictures make me want to visit again.
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Shar --
I stayed at the Hapuna Beach hotel during the remodel. (I had no choice because I was attending a conference there.) The noise was horrendous, but otherwise, I loved the hotel and the beach where it's located.
I haven't been to the Fairmont Orchid so I can't comment about that. I'd call the Hapuna Beach and ask them about the noise.
Good luck with the decision!