Mackinac Island Hotels

Search

Mackinac Island Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mackinac Island Hotels

Am planning on staying on Mac Island in late September. I have looked at some hotels online and the Iriquois seems nice and moderatley priced. Any recomendations about this on or any others?

Old Aug 25th, 2005, 11:58 AM

We stayed at the Iroquois a few years back and really liked it. I would definately recommend it-great location and the in house restaurant is very good.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 12:14 PM

Ditto to swalter. We liked it very much. Our room was very charming and clean with a lovely waterview.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 12:41 PM
je

A strong second and third for the Iroquois. We stayed there last summer and somehow were upgraded to a very nice room on the top floor with beautiful views of the water.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 08:29 AM

I've stayed at the Island House, which is right across the street from the private docks on the quiet end of the main street. Great view. Got special rates off of Travelzoo.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response! Iriquois sounds good. I looked at their website and the rooms look beautiful. Do they rent bikes and is it close to a stable and trails?
Also would you consider this a romantic hotel?
A friend is recommending the Grand Hotel to me but it just seems so pricey.
Is the butterfly house still open in the fall?
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 09:26 AM

The Iroquois is romantic, I guess. Definately not a "big box" hotel. We rented bikes right down the street (2 min. walk). I can't say where the stables are but we saw alot of horses around...We were there in mid-Oct and the butterfly house was closed. The Grand Hotel is beautiful but very pricey, even in the off season.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 04:56 PM
RLS

Stay at the Iroquios and save lots of money. With only a few blocks of shops on the waterfront, everything, including bike rentals, is within walking distance.

It is still worth a visit to the Grand, particulary if you are a romatic and enjoyed Somewhere in Time. The hotel posts a sign near the entrance that non-guests will be charged $10 or $15. I have never seen the hotel charge non-guests, but have heard some people questioned, and watched a few leave after being embarressed. I think it is unconscionable to charge $10 for non-guests to have a look-see. Use a side path and avoid inquiries. (In my many years of staying there, I have never seen a sign that said No Tresspassing, or Tresspassers Will Be Prosecuted.)

Head toward the hotel, pass the stone church on the right, look for a dirt path to your left. Take the path, which will lead you through a lovely woodsy area with thousands of ferns. This path will split, go to the right (left will take you to a bike area). Walk past the small spa area. (The famous pool is past the spa.) The hotel will be to the right up on the bluff. Enjoy the walk through the expansive lawn and garden area. Walk up a very steep staircase which has a few landings for much needed rest stops. At the top you will come to the coach stop for the horses and wagons. The main entrance (not the lobby, which is to your right on the same level you arrived) is up one more flight of stairs. But, take a respit and have tea at the little shop near the lobby. Peek at the ballroom which for some reason reminds me of the one in The Shining. Take picturs from the porch. Walk around some more, and maybe go to the Cuppola for great views of the Big Mac.

Leave knowing you saved a great deal of money and whatever you do, do not spend the $40 or so dollars on the luncheon buffet. Enjoy! Ramona

Old Aug 27th, 2005, 05:31 PM

The $10 fee is a credit toward purchases at the Grand. If you have a meal or drinks, you can apply it toward the check.

The have people stationed at the east enterance. If you come across the lesser used street from the west, there is no one stationed to charge the fee.

My photo journal from last summer has a cople of pics at the cupola bar: http://mightymac.org/04island.htm

Keith
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 07:01 PM

About charging to "visit" the Grand. It is arguably the main attraction on Mackinac. As mentioned above it is "worth a visit" and it seems no one can visit the island without wanting to stroll through and take a peek. I can't blame them for charging. Years ago we stayed there and it was a zoo -- not because of the guests staying there, but because there was a constant parade of "visitors" gawking at the place and the people inside. I felt we were on display as much as the hotel. The hotel couldn't really handle the number of people who were just there for a look. Frankly, it's not my kind of place -- a bit stuffy. But our traditional "Grand Hotel" room with colorful decor was one of the most colorful if not best decorated rooms I've ever seen. It's pricey and only worth it if you appreciate that kind of "over the top" elegance or class.