Search

Macclesfield, NC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 05:01 PM
Jim

Macclesfield, NC

I'm planning an holiday in Western NC next year. Area round Bryson City. But as a native of Macclesfield, Cheshire, England, I was wondering if Macclesfield, NC is worth a visit just to compare, and does anyone know why the town got its name? Thanks to anyone who cures my curiosity.
Jim

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 05:17 PM
Jim

Should have stated in my first post....I know its quite a distance from Bryson City to Macclesfield!!

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 07:42 PM
Gretchen

I don't know Jim. I looked it up and it is indeed a "fer piece" as we say here in NC to Bryson City from Macclesfield. I googled just to see where it is--maybe there is a derivation of the name somewhere in that fount of knowledge. Enjoy Bryson City.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 03:54 PM
Former Makefielder

This is really out of your way, but if you ever go to Philadelphia, the township where I grew up, Lower Makefield, supposedly derives its name from Macclesfield. The story is that the name was chosen back in the 17th century by a native of Macclesfield. It's nothing like Macclesfield, Cheshire, though. It was mostly farmland with small residential enclaves until the 20th century, and within the past 50 years or so has morphed into a suburb of Philly. Sure, it's nowhere near NC, but I couldn't resist.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Jim

Thats a great story and one that has set me thinking as my 9 times great uncle and aunt emigrated to PA from Macclesfield around the end of the 17th century!! They came from a little village called Sutton which was just a couple of miles out of town in the east Cheshire hills. I wonder....small world eh?

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 05:49 PM
ramjet

Thought this would be a tad interesting to you Jim. I was born in Bryson City, my grandparents were named Sutton and the family was originally from somewhere in England, I need to find out!