Luxury Resort in Texas

Search

Luxury Resort in Texas

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luxury Resort in Texas

I am looking for vacation ideas for a 4 day luxury "babymoon" in Texas. The goal is to go in June after dropping our 3 year old off with my folks outside of Houston. We've been to the Hyatt Hill Country Resort and 4 Seasons in Austin. Any other ideas for a luxury experience in Texas, not in a big city? Thanks so much.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 06:08 AM

YO Ranch, in the Hill Country
Gaylord Texan in Grapevine (not a big city, though it is near them!)
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 06:21 AM

There aren't many luxury resorts here. Hyatt has a resort outside of Bastrop called Hyatt Lost Pines Resort. Hyatt recently opened the Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, sort of near the Hyatt Hill Country Resort. I can't tell you what it either of these are like. I have been to Barton Creek Resort in Austin. It is okay.

You might consider going to the Hill Country proper (Kerrville, Comfort, Fredericksburg, etc.) and renting a house. Maybe a stay at the Flying L Dude Ranch or Dixie Dude Ranch in Bandera. Friends say they are very nice.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 06:45 AM

Hyatt Lost Pines' projected opening is June 1, 2006, and hopefully they will remain on schedule. Currently you can book it for June and it certainly would be a convenient location for you coming from Houston. I've heard so much about it and look forward to seeing it myself. It is being built by the same developer that did Hyatt Hill Country and Westin Kierland in Scottsdale, among others.

Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch (San Antonio) is actually part of their timeshare division, Hyatt Vacation Club, not Hyatt Hotels and Resorts. As with other Hyatt Vacation Club properties, until it sells out, rooms are available to the general public. Because they are similar to condos, there are some accommodations that have kitchens as well, if that is important to you. I've only stayed in the in Sedona property which was absolutely gorgeous!
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 06:46 AM

Well, it's in Dallas, but the Mansion at Turtle Creek is the first thing that came to mind.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 12:30 PM

We stayed at the Hyatt Wild Oak in San Antonio in the smallest available - a studio unit. It came with a king bed, fold out couch, bar area with coffee pot, microwave, office size fridge and some utensils. Bath was well done but basic in design. The units will be eventually shielded by native ivy but right now there is only the chicken coop wiring for the ivy to grow. My daughter asked if we were checking into a prison!

Good points of all free things: Fantastic weight room with all new equipment. Indoor and outdoor pool. Multiple hot tubs. Lazy river. Cabanas. Lodge with rocking chairs.

More good points: You can charge to your room from Hyatt Hill Country for spas, golf, food.

Note - Hyatt Wild Oak has country music playing everywhere. Good or bad point depending upon your cultural taste.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 01:46 PM

Does the ubiquitous music bother others? There are times I'd like to lie by the pool and hear nothing. I don't need it on in the room when I come in or in the restaurant, even softly in the background. Someone near and dear to me and I have a difference of opinion on that subject.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 02:36 PM

How about the Lake Austin Spa and Resort? Their spa has been voted in the top 5 in the US consistently.

http://www.lakeaustin.com/
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 08:28 PM

Malesherbes, the country music made it definitely seem like a themed resort. I really enjoyed going over to sister hotel and using their spa. The spa has its own private pool. It is outside, shaded, and music free. There is also a hottub. You can waddle out in your spa robe and just hang out there as long as you would like.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 04:21 AM

A co-worker of DH went with her spouse to Lake Austin Spa & Resort and absolutely loved it!

Malesherbes, I'm with you--I'd rather have peace and quiet. As much as I love music in some settings it can add to the commotion and noise. Have you been to Super Target? No music--the store is quiet so you can hear yourself think! I need all the help I can get ;-)
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 05:27 AM

Ahh, The Music!! I was in Dallas on Sunday.I went with my TA to a newly opened supermarket.It was 8am and the loud speakers were blasting the country music.I turned to him and aksed what was up with the boom box at that hour."Welcome to Texas,dude!!"
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 05:49 AM

BB, I've decided I need to get me a TA!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 07:10 AM

We LOVE the Westin La Cantera in San Antonio. It is on the outskirts so it is a very quiet property and has a pool and area for adults only. When we are away from our kids we don't want to listen to others. Beautiful hillside location,spa golf and tennis. I think the new shops across the street are open now, including a Nordstroms. If you don't want to drive so far because you only have 4 days, Galveston is only 45 minutes away. The water and sand color are not pretty but if you love an oceanfront location, it is easy. The San Luis Resort has a spa and The Wyndham Hotel Galvez is pretty. Have a great time
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 07:12 AM

SV....I wonder sometimes if I would have one had I not just stumbled on him.You know what they say, things happen for a reason....I must say, he has been more than helpful in the past 4 years with hotels especially.His consortium is known virtually everywhere and he has been able to find me a room or rooms when the hotels had been "sold out". And usually the rates are spectacular.($245 for Helmsley Park Lane NYC!!)....On the flip side, dinner at hotels like that cost the same as the room!!....
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 07:24 AM

AM..too funny. No, I haven't been.

Westin La Cantera is a beautiful property and they've got a great dining room--excellent food and service. Their view from the hilltop is gorgeous too. Their pool though, can't hold a candle to Hyatt Hill Country's pools and Lazy River. Yes Shops at La Cantera--open for business and doing a brisk one at that!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 07:28 AM

BeachBoi, what's the new supermarket? Anything cool like Central Market? Nah, on second thought, Central Market wouldn't do that with the country music--I hope!!

My DH asserts some music, the right music, such as that at the new Starbucks/music store downtown San Antonio, puts you in a spending frame of mind. LOL He came home not only with two bags of Verona blend, but also with Paris café music a couple weeks ago, courtesy of his Starbucks habit. No telling how much he spent that one short coffee break!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 07:36 AM

MS....It's the new Kroger @ Denton Rd/Hebron in FN Carrollton.Nice store but geez I couldnt even think.And I didnt have my boot skooters on either!!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 08:02 AM

Hill Country Hyatt pools and lazy river are much more spectacular but the river also filled with screaming splashing kids especially in June. Also, because La Cantera is closer to Fiesta Texas many of the families leave for the day. We thought La Cantera felt more adult but you can't go wrong with either.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 10:40 AM

how about Lajitas - the ultimate hideout? a bit of a trek to get there - but definitely not in a big city.

http://www.lajitas.com/
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 10:56 AM
Fairhope

Music always makes me want to spend more-- more time elsewhere!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -