Luxury Hotel or Moderate on Maui

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay here's the question. Should I take my wonderful wife to Maui and stay at a luxury hotel (If so which one?, should I stay in Wailea or Kaanapali / Lahina, and what are the benefits of each) I've pre-selected the Fairmont Hotel in Wailea $666 per night for 10 days. Or stay at a moderate hotel $300 per night (any recommendations) and have more money for activities and food? I'm divided on spending $6,000 for a hotel and I don't know how nice they are or how much time we will spend there. Any advice? Should I spend the money for the nice hotel or spend the money having fun for 10 days (Helicopter, cruise, Luaus, Hana, etc)?
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 06:33 AM

Have you checked with different consolidators for discounted rates? Try pricing through pleasanyholidays.com or luxurylink.com (which has an auction for the Fairmont). There is a lot to do on Maui, personally I'd search for a discounted room rate at a 5* like mentioned and spend $$ on the attractions which also cost $$$ so you get to experience true Hawaii. Also budget a decent amount for dining which is pricey.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 07:31 AM
bonniebroad

Well, no1jimmyd, I would only consider spending $666 night on a hotel if I had money to burn, and I think most people would consider a $300 night/hotel to be in the luxury class. If the price of my hotel caused concern about what I could afford to spend on other things, then I believe I would be looking at a much less-expensive place to stay. I would look at the total amount I have to spend on a trip, and proceed accordingly.

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 09:42 AM

For me: I would rather stay at a Luxury Hotel, in the lowest category room, then stay in the Moderate Hotel in the higher-end rooms. It's the top-notch service, the grounds, the lobby, the room quality.

We are staying at the Four Seasons in Wailea in Sept. for $425 per night and the 5th night is free. We have a garden room - the view is not of the ocean, but the room is still outstanding and we can view the ocean from the hotel grounds. Most people don't spend much time in their rooom looking out the window. Most people spend more time on the grounds or common areas, at the beach, at the pool, etc. The service for all of these things are the same for everyone staying there. At the luxury hotels, your wife will feel more pampered. Even the robes will be plusher.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you are not just paying for the 4 walls you sleep in but rather the WHOLE resort.

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 10:44 AM

Absolutely look into consolidators, packagers, etc. You will save tons. Costco has the Fairmont at $1430.00 pp 1 BR suite for 7 nights and these are winter rates. Do some digging IMHO.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 10:54 AM
bonniebroad

Jacketwatch, I didn't realize that you could get the Kea Lani through Costco for that amount!!! Great info for everybody. I haven't checked out Costco's offerings lately.......

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 11:00 AM

For me, I guess it would depend if I am planning to stay on the resort most of the time or be out and about and just come back at night. I made sure I saw EVERYTHING I wanted to see on the Big Island before my company paid for my four days at the Four Seasons. I enjoyed that resort to the max - beach, pool, snorkel lagoon, massages, etc. I never went "off campus" - except for the helicopter ride.
I do agree with the earlier posters = do more research for better buys.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 06:15 PM

If you pay $666 a night for the Fairmont- you are paying WAY too much! Look around for better deals...that is crazy!
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 08:38 PM
gerbertravel

I agree that you could get that hotel for much less through an agent with a package.

I would skip staying in the Lahina area since it is the only "city"/town like area there and doesn't really nice beaches. I have stayed at the Hyatt Resort & Spa on Kaanapali beach three times and love it. The deal I usually book for people there it comes with free breakfast at swan court and the 7th night free. Swan court is an eloquent dining room where they make made to order omelets and all the tables are set with cloth and silver. Plus there are swans swiming right up to your table and you have views of the waterfalls!! If you want something more upscale there are many options, but the hospitality in Hawaii is excellent almost anywhere you go.

If you would like more information on hotels or things to do please let me know.

Judith Gerber, Gerber Travel