Notices

Luxury B&B's on the Oregon Coast ????

Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 02:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luxury B&B's on the Oregon Coast ????

Hi there,
we are thinking of driving this coast once we get off a cruise from Seattle. ( We get off the cruise on the 10th July )
We enjoy B&B's that have great views, modern facilities and private entrances / spaces and are unique in some way or other. ( Our favourite B&B's off all time are Bostroms in Uculet Canada and Sunset Chateau Sedona ) Sorry about the spelling.
We are looking at approx. $200 - $250per night.
It will just be my husband and I.
Thanks in advance
Donna
Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 05:39 AM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Try Cannon Beach. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g5...on-Hotels.html
I've heard that Haystack Rock is the most photographed spot in Oregon. Farther south, you'll like the Bandon area.
Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 06:05 AM
mms

Cannon Beach is a great town on our coast. In July though, finding "luxury" is that price range is tough. Also, most places in town have 2-3 night minimums in the summer. All that said, take a look at The Stephanie Inn (luxury hotel, no kids under 12 allowed, but will run more like $500 a night), The Surfsand Resort (a sister property, VERY nice, will run around $300+ a night), and the Cannon Beach Hotel (one block from the water, only around 10-15 rooms, mostly in your price range).

When you get out of Cannon Beach, most places do not have the 2-3 night minimums, but there are some so you will just need to check websites and/or call.

In Newport, the Sylvia Beach Hotel is popular. I have not stayed there, but friends have and love it, FWIW.
Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 06:31 AM

We've stayed at this property few years ago and it was wonderful. It should be close to your budget.

http://www.archcapeinn.com/
Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 08:44 AM

I'm not understanding what a "B&B" is versus an inn or boutique hotel by those examples. They even call themselves an inn in one place and boutique hotel n another (the one in Sedona which does look nice). To me, a B&B is really a house that has bedrooms with guests in it, and they come down to a common room for breakfast or something--by definition, the rooms do not have private entrances as they are just part of the house. It's not an inn specifically built with large suits, porches, separate entrances, etc. Lots of places include breakfast in a common breakfast room as they do, even large hotels.

However, if that's what one wants, I stayed in Land's End in Cannon Beach and it is similar to that, great views, fireplaces, comfortable large rooms, etc. $250 won't get you luxury in Cannon Beach though, in July. You can get partial view rooms at Lands End for that, lower price category. But they do have a 2 night minimum, I think they all do there in season, even during the week. It was a nice place.

http://www.landsendcb.com/
Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,
thanks for your replies. I will check out all of the suggestions when I get home tonight. It sounds Like Cannon Beach is a great place to visit.
We are from Australia and here B&B's, inns, boutique hotels etc. all come under the one umbrella. Sorry about the confusion. Many of the places we have stayed at have had own entrances but this is not essential.
I was forgetting that July is a busy holiday period for you so will have to up the budget a little. We have about 5-7 days before we fly to Chicago. Where is the best airport to fly out of? ( Seattle, Portland or somewhere else? )
Thanks again for your suggestions.
Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 01:20 PM

Since you want to come to Oregon after your cruise ship docks in Seattle, you can take an Amtrak Cascades from the Seattle King Street Station to Portland. Rent the car in downtown Portland to head for the coast.
If you can't afford the places in Cannon Beach, you can find cheaper lodging in the town of Seaside.
When you return the rental to downtown Portland, you can take the red line light rail (TriMet)to the end of the line which is outside baggage claim at PDX.
Old Nov 3rd, 2014, 02:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks tomfuller for your suggestion re train. The places mentioned for Cannon Beach do you look great and worth the extra dollars. We are still in the planning stages of this trip. ( We have booked our flights and cruise only )
I will research all of the accommodation suggestions in the next day or two.
Melbourne Cup Day tomorrow so may be a little while in getting back.
Thanks again
Old Nov 3rd, 2014, 08:19 AM

I hope you get off the ship in time to catch the #513 Cascades train at 11:15AM.
The #507 leaves at 2PM and arrives in Portland after 5:30PM which is late to pick up a rental car to head for the coast.
I really like the newer Talgo trains that run between Seattle and Eugene Oregon.
Old Nov 3rd, 2014, 11:57 AM
mms

A couple more thoughts. The Amtrak Cascades can be a great way to go between Seattle and Portland, but if you would like to make a stop part way and see Mt St Helens, you would not be able to do that with the train.

In July it is light out until around 10pm, so even if you take the train that gets in here at 5:30, there is still plenty of daylight to make driving over to CB very doable, IME.
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 01:13 AM
Original Poster

Hi tomfuller and mms for your ideas about the train system.
We would like to see Mt St Helens and have a car to check out other areas too but could get train to airport. We are still checking out accommodation suggestions but Cannon Beach sounds like a great place to visit. Great news about the extra daylight.
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 05:58 AM
mms

Magpies--If you want to do MSH, just rent a car. The drive from Seattle to Portland is only 3 hours, and MSH is a nice little detour to that route. The MSH exit is just an hour north of Portland (exit 49 on I-5), so if you rent a car here, you would be backtracking and wasting time.
Old Nov 7th, 2014, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Hi again,
still looking and researching for options, some places are above our budget and some have minimum nights bookings. We are looking at some other options nearby too.
Thanks again for your help.
Will let you know what we decide on.
Old Nov 8th, 2014, 07:16 PM

How about staying at the Inn keepers house at a lighthouse. I have stayed here and really enjoyed but our group had the whole place. And you would have to come farther south. Heceta head Lighthouse. - I think it's kind of a magical spot, they serve an amazing breakfast in A M. Fun to walk the trail up to the lighthouse at night..
Old Nov 8th, 2014, 07:54 PM

http://hecetalighthouse.com/bed-breakfast

Link to the lighthouse B&B
Old Nov 9th, 2014, 02:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks sunburn,
I will definitely check it out. Sounds like an interesting place to stay.
Old Nov 9th, 2014, 10:33 AM

I just stayed in the Surfsand in August. It is not in any way, shape, or form, a "B+B" nor is the nearby Stephanie even though it calls itself an "inn." BUT what those two DO have is a view of Haystack Rock that is incomparable along with those fireplaces in the rooms and in the Surfsand's case those weenie roasts on the beach, etc. (God knows forget about swimming in that frigid water).

The place (Cannon Beach) is just what you'd expect: LOTS of people, BAD parking, a jillion "art" galleries, and all the rest of it. IOW: GO THERE!!! And enjoy a place and a view that is pretty much incompartable (although there are other "haystack rocks" along the coast).
Old Nov 9th, 2014, 11:00 AM
mms

Dukes--glad you enjoyed the Surfsand. I always recommend it. We have been going there for many years and it has never disappointed!
Old Nov 9th, 2014, 10:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Dukey1 we gathered that Cannon Beach would be very popular at that time of the year. So many places to consider. I am a teacher in the middle of writing reports so will have to leave my research for another time. Surfsand is a possibility
Thanks again
Old Nov 10th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your suggestions. At the moment it looks like we are leaning towards the Ocean Point Inn and Spa Arch Cape. It has the dates available we need and looks lovely. Still have another couple of possibilities we are checking out.
Also looking at the Whitehouse B&B in Portland.
Thanks again

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO