Lunch Near Gershwin Theatre

Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lunch Near Gershwin Theatre

Hi everyone, we have tickets to see Wicked on a Sunday at 3pm and are looking for a nice place to have lunch around there before hand (first time to NYC). Price isn't that big of deal, just good food that you wouldn't find anywhere but Manhattan.

Thanks for your time.

emh
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:23 AM

Roberto Passon, 50th & 9th Ave., just one long block from the restaurant to the theatre. I think a lot of Fodorites will agree with me on this one!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:33 AM

When you say "that you wouldn't find anywhere but Manhattan", all I can think of is Carnegie or Stage Deli for giant sized pastrami or corned beef sandwiches -- but somehow I don't think that's what you mean.

My favorite, Roberto Passon at 9th and 50th (just a block from the Gershwin) has a great fixed price lunch, really good food.
www.robertopasson.com

Also on 50th, right across from the Gershwin is a new place called Natsumi. I'm walking by it a lot as we're staying next door. It is sure popular -- Japanese, sushi, teriyaki, and nice prices with a sharp modern decor. I hope to check it out myself, but I rode the elevator up with a couple I saw just come out of there, asked them and they said it is a WONDERFUL addition to the neighborhood.

There's a wonderful little French place called Tout va Bien very close on 51st just west of 8th Avenue. This is one of those townhouse basement like places that reeks of simple atmosphere. Great French specialties and inexpensive prices.

Also right around the corner from the Gershwin on 8th is Soso Borella. Where but in New York would you find this odd combination -- Argentinian/Italian? The food is good, although I'm not as crazy about it as some other are.
www.sosaborella.com
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Okay, no laughing... But after I sent this out my husband says, "Maybe you will want to clarify what type of food by saying we are just coming back from 4 weeks in France and don't want to fall asleep during Wicked due to jetlag". Oops! So maybe a deli/light lunch is better than a three course meal right before a Broadway show? DUH...

I think we will save Roberto Passon for the next night because the menu sounds wonderful.

Any thoughts on a lighter lunch? I think we should keep the pasta (carbs) on the low side

Thank you both for all your help!

emh
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:06 PM

Well, I don't consider a deli a "light lunch". We split a pastrami and some potato salad today at Katz' and I'm still feeling stuffed!

I go back to one of my original ideas -- this new Natsumi place -- Bento Box lunches, or various combinations. It all seems much lighter to me -- and I know exactly what you mean about a heavy meal before a show, which is why I always like eating after theatre rather than before.

Here's a link to the menu at Natsumi.

http://tinyurl.com/2k9xhz
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:59 AM

Some other ideas-
The 21 Club is not far. While not cheap, a burger or salad in the saloon (barroom) is an only in NYC experience. (but husband needs a jacket)
http://www.21club.com/web/onyc/onyc_c2b_tour.jsp

Or what about a light bite in the Terrace Cafe at MOMA which is also not far?
http://www.themodernnyc.com/t5/t5.html

Old May 24th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your replies. I will look in to these this weekend. I appreciate all your help.

emh