Eat Before/After Theatre

Search

Eat Before/After Theatre

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eat Before/After Theatre

Any suggestions for dinner before/after Theatre Sat Oct 9? 18 year old birthday, likes of course, chicken and traditional American food. Thanks
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 11:33 AM

I'm assuming that you're talking about New York, although you should be aware that even if you click a state that only helps when people search -- there is no separate "state" boards.

Well, if you're not looking for something really "special" or "expensive", it's hard to beat Virgil's on 44th for what you say. Great barbeque chicken or ribs or other things.

Something different and perhaps as good fried chicken as you're likely to get -- Jezebel at the corner of 9th and 45th. Very southern with a super interior of tropical and even porch swings to sit on while eating. It's a little fancier or more upscale that Virgil's, that's for sure, but still very reasonable.

Old Sep 12th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Yes, a New York City trip on Sat, Oct 9th. Thank you. We are looking for a special celebration dinner, and have expanded our search to include Eggplant dishes and some Pasta. Thanks. Becco, Barbetta, Baldoria, ???? We would like to keep under $50.00 a person....any more help Thanks
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 02:58 PM

I'm not sure I'd consider any of the places mentioned so far a "special" birthday type place (maybe Jezebels) but I guess a lot depends on what you/she is used to and where you live.

A few ideas...Chez Josephine is French bistro food but they do have chicken. It's a very grown up type place (an homage to Josephine Baker) and going AFTER the theater, there will be live piano music. In general, I'd suggest going after the theater so you can relax and enjoy w/o rushing. Places will also be more lively.

Joe Allen on restaurant row (46th betw 8th-9th) is NOT fancy but after theater, you might see some celebrities. It's good, plain American food. Orso, right next door to it is trendier (and more expensive) Italian and is also a celebrity magnet.

Ellen's Stardust Diner is a popular teen place if she's into 50s stuff. That you could probably do before the theater.
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 03:34 PM

Yes, I withdraw my original suggestions, or at least Virgil's. I didn't suspect you were looking for a "special" place for a celebration.

By the way, Joe Allen is one of my old favorites and I rarely order anything but their chicken, which is delicious. The only "celebritory" thing about it though is the chance of seeing "stars" after theatre -- doubtful before.

And now that it looks like you're a little more Italian oriented than originally, I'd suggest that Baldoria and Barbetta may both be pretty well over your budget -- unless there is no alcohol involved (for the adults, not for the birthday girl). Becco is well within it.
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 03:47 PM

Wow, and now I see that you've reposted this question and added the fact that you're staying in the Financial District, which means you may be taking a taxi after theatre -- how about going somewhere more trendy? What about Pastis in the meatpacking area.? Iwould think an 18 year old would love the crowd as well as the food. Spectacular chicken and great frites. Or go to Balthazar.
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. I realized I was not specific enough in my post. And the food choices grew. Checking all suggestions now for input Thank you so much!
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info...can we have a little more? Eggplant parmesean is the birthday girls favorite meal. And she is ok with after theatre dinner and wants to see stars. Orso looks good...Is the Marriot Marquis--view? a must see?
We are seeing Avenue Q on Oct 9th and will be sightseeing before. SoHo is probably Friday night after Times Square and TRL MTV TOYS R US. She is 18!
We are from Minnesota and the want the trip to be special in the short time it is. Anything else we must see or eat? We are going to the Empire State Building and Statue of Liberty and shopping on Canal Street.
Thanks
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 03:38 AM

The food at the Marriott's View is pricey. The rest. rotates so the view changes. I don't know whether it's a must. There are several restaurants in that area with a view. There's also Above at the Hilton TS, and Foley Fish House at the Renaissance. Neither of those rotate though.

I agree with Patrick that going someplace downtown that's more trendy would be fun and the meatpacking district is quite trendy.

While it would be a shame to pick some place just because you MIGHT see a celeb, I will mention Da Silvano is an Italian in the village known for having lots of celebs. It's hard to get a table (as it is at Orso).

Da Nico is an Italian in Little Italy that ex Mayor Guiliani likes.

Check the menus at these places for egg. parm.

I'll also mention on a more touristy note, that the skating rink at Rockefeller Center opens this year on your daughter's birthday The co. that owns the restaurants surrounding the rink(restaurant associates) has a promotion. If you register at their website, you can get a gift certificate for $50/off a meal on your birthday. The 2 places that overlook the skating rink are The Rock Center Cafe and the Sea Grill. Not sure either have the food you want though but you could check. Go to http://restaurantassociates.com/ to register.

Old Sep 13th, 2004, 06:17 AM

You could always just go to the Marriott Marquis View Lounge for drinks before or after. It really is a unique place with a nice view.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 06:19 AM
GoTravel

Blue Ribbon Bakery after the theater. They serve until 1AM and the food is outstanding and it should be fairly easy to keep it under $50 per person.

Keep your eyes open and you very well may see other famous chefs eating there.

Old Sep 13th, 2004, 09:07 AM

18 year old birthday - I agree, head downtown. My 20 year old sister adored Son Cubano in the Meatpacking District - no celebrities the night we were there, but tons of pretty people with gorgeous clothes, and live music. If she's willing to try a new cuisine, I think it would be a great bet. Pastis is also a perennial favorite.

For Italian (no eggplant parm, but they do have eggplant antipasto) Pace (pronounced pah-chay, Italian for "peace") is new and trendy in Tribeca. Great food, service, and space. If you don't drink too much, I think you could do it for about $50.

(BTW, Patrick, I noticed that you raved about the Harrison - which along with Mermaid is one of my favorite places - have you been to Pace yet? Same owners, same friendly, unpretentious service, great food, but VERY different design...)
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 10:30 AM

Nope, but I'll add it to my list, along with Mermaid. And are you the one that asked somewhere about Red Cat? I haven't been there in several years. We went to Harrison after seeing Mrs. Farnsworth not far and we could walk. We were surprised to see co-star John Lithgow and party walk in right behind us. I need to get to New York more often or stay even longer next time. My "must do" list is starting to get thicker than a Zagat's.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 11:46 AM

Nope, it wasn't me, though I do like Red Cat. Mermaid has a very casual, sea shack type of vibe. Pace has more of a McNally Balthazar/Schiller's feel...

Yes, it seems nearly impossible to work your way through all of our great restaurants - but I am not going to let that stop me from trying!
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks...great stuff. Star sighting would be fun, but cool and hip and late is probably even better. We like the Meatpacking district suggestions. Thank you Thank you!
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 11:07 AM

How about Patsy's in the theatre district? You might even spot a celebrity or two. They do, in fact, serve eggplant parm. Check out their website www.patsys.com
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

I just read QC's post from Aug 30 and realize I fall into the stupid questions asked department. Thank you for the help, and yes we have gotten subway maps, tickets to the show, the ferry schedule, and empire state building tickets all in advance from the internet. No, we won't eat at Olive Garden, and yes we will look like really happy tourists.
Of course everyone in Minnesota is in bed by 10pm or snowed in by 10pm, so the safety of the subway after 10pm question is legit!!!! Thanks
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 11:37 AM

RZ, yes, the subway is safe after 10pm, though NY is of course a city like any other and you should take the proper precautions. The question is more of convenience than safety - at night the subway runs much less frequently and after the fun of the show (Ave Q is very raunchy, but GREAT BTW) and full from dinner, the extra $10 on a cab usually seems worth it.

And, the more I think about it, the more I would really recommend Pastis, unless she absolutely must have her eggplant. The food is good but not too challenging for an 18-year-old (though she'll feel glamorous with all of the French words), it is in your price range, it has a happening late night scene, celebs still occasionally stop by, and it lives up to the image that I had of NY when I was 18, yet it isn't so youth obsessed that you'll feel out of place if you are older.